Aug 15, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
It took a while to figure it out, but the Timberwolves had re-sign Nikola Pekovic — the big man provides the traditional post presence at both ends of the court the team needs to allow Kevin Love to do his thing.
But the new five-year, $60 million deal leads to this question: Can the smaller market Timberwolves afford the coming extension for Ricky Rubio next summer then have the money for a new max deal for Love the season after that?
Minnesota decision maker Flip Saunders says not to worry.
See, nothing to worry about. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. Everything is just fine.
Rubio will sign an extension.
Saunders was brought in to repair the organization’s relationship with Love, which was not that great during the David Kahn era. So far so good on that, although what will really matter is how the team performs on the court the next couple seasons — does Love see them as a potential contender then or will the grass be greener somewhere else? If the relationship is not being repaired, Minnesota will be in a tough spot because they will not want to trade him.
But that’s down the line. If Minnesota’s key players can stay healthy this season, and with the addition of floor-spacing Kevin Martin, this is a potentially very good team. Certainly a playoff team, and when teams are winning a lot of other stuff seems to magically sort itself out.
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 1
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 11
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 8
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9