Aug 15, 2013, 1:32 PM EST
The Fab Melo era that never really got started in Boston is over.
Why? This is a financial move for the Celtics — Melo was going to make $1.3 million this season, Greene is on a minimum contract that is not guaranteed and can be cut. If the Celtics move Greene they actually slide under the NBA’s luxury tax line, saving them some bucks.
What Memphis gets is a project big, which works as they have time to develop him as Marc Gasol is at the peak of his powers and they have Kosta Koufos behind him. There is Zach Randolph at the four with Ed Davis stepping up behind him at, plus Jon Leuer is on the roster as well.
Melo was raw coming out of Syracuse but he has a lot of athletic gifts and is a legit 7’0”, however he got in just six games for the Celtics last season and spent most of the season in the D-League developing his game (he was named to the D-League All-Defensive First Team and D-League All-Rookie First Team). The most notable thing he did as a rookie was get a concussion walking into a doorway.
Greene missed all of last season with a broken ankle. He had four okay seasons in Sacramento before that; it’s likely if/when the Celtics cut him somebody picks him up.
Boston is rebuilding, the fact that they would get rid of him to save a few bucks speaks to what they think his potential ceiling would be. Memphis will have some time to develop him and prove Boston wrong.
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 0
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)