Aug 15, 2013, 1:32 PM EDT
The Fab Melo era that never really got started in Boston is over.
Why? This is a financial move for the Celtics — Melo was going to make $1.3 million this season, Greene is on a minimum contract that is not guaranteed and can be cut. If the Celtics move Greene they actually slide under the NBA’s luxury tax line, saving them some bucks.
What Memphis gets is a project big, which works as they have time to develop him as Marc Gasol is at the peak of his powers and they have Kosta Koufos behind him. There is Zach Randolph at the four with Ed Davis stepping up behind him at, plus Jon Leuer is on the roster as well.
Melo was raw coming out of Syracuse but he has a lot of athletic gifts and is a legit 7’0”, however he got in just six games for the Celtics last season and spent most of the season in the D-League developing his game (he was named to the D-League All-Defensive First Team and D-League All-Rookie First Team). The most notable thing he did as a rookie was get a concussion walking into a doorway.
Greene missed all of last season with a broken ankle. He had four okay seasons in Sacramento before that; it’s likely if/when the Celtics cut him somebody picks him up.
Boston is rebuilding, the fact that they would get rid of him to save a few bucks speaks to what they think his potential ceiling would be. Memphis will have some time to develop him and prove Boston wrong.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 40
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18