Aug 15, 2013, 1:32 PM EST
The Fab Melo era that never really got started in Boston is over.
Why? This is a financial move for the Celtics — Melo was going to make $1.3 million this season, Greene is on a minimum contract that is not guaranteed and can be cut. If the Celtics move Greene they actually slide under the NBA’s luxury tax line, saving them some bucks.
What Memphis gets is a project big, which works as they have time to develop him as Marc Gasol is at the peak of his powers and they have Kosta Koufos behind him. There is Zach Randolph at the four with Ed Davis stepping up behind him at, plus Jon Leuer is on the roster as well.
Melo was raw coming out of Syracuse but he has a lot of athletic gifts and is a legit 7’0”, however he got in just six games for the Celtics last season and spent most of the season in the D-League developing his game (he was named to the D-League All-Defensive First Team and D-League All-Rookie First Team). The most notable thing he did as a rookie was get a concussion walking into a doorway.
Greene missed all of last season with a broken ankle. He had four okay seasons in Sacramento before that; it’s likely if/when the Celtics cut him somebody picks him up.
Boston is rebuilding, the fact that they would get rid of him to save a few bucks speaks to what they think his potential ceiling would be. Memphis will have some time to develop him and prove Boston wrong.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 16
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 4
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11