Aug 15, 2013, 1:49 PM EDT
On the court, Washington made a good gamble signing Al Harrington — they get a stretch four they need, a guy who averaged 14.2 points a game two seasons ago, and they get him for the veteran minimum. He may or may not pan out but it was a good risk.
But maybe the real benefit is off the court.
Washington has worked hard to change the culture of the franchise and the locker room since the Gilbert Arenas/Andray Blatche/JaVale Mcgee/Nick Young days. It’s one o the reasons they spent big on John Wall.
At his introductory press conference, Harrington talked about what he wants to bring to the team, as reported by J. Michael at CSNWashington.com.
“Just watching the way they finished the year when they were healthy, I just feel like this is a great opportunity where I could come in, help and try to push them over the top,” Harrington said. “The talent that’s on the roster with the guys that got a little bit of experience, with the young guys, I think it’s a good mix. Adding me to it, I can definitely help these guys….
“I’m going to try go get in here early, try to get with the guys and have like a mini-camp amongst the players where we can all get in here, start working out, start working to that goal of being a playoff team this year,” said Harrington, who relied on advice from Trevor Ariza, Wall and Nene before signing with Washington.
I think the Wizards are a playoff team in the East next season, likely a 7 or 8 seed but in the playoffs and that’s a start. Harrington and his attitude could be a part of that. If he can return to form as a stretch four he’ll be a bigger part of that.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 0
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 3
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 13
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 11
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 19
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 7