Aug 15, 2013, 1:49 PM EST
On the court, Washington made a good gamble signing Al Harrington — they get a stretch four they need, a guy who averaged 14.2 points a game two seasons ago, and they get him for the veteran minimum. He may or may not pan out but it was a good risk.
But maybe the real benefit is off the court.
Washington has worked hard to change the culture of the franchise and the locker room since the Gilbert Arenas/Andray Blatche/JaVale Mcgee/Nick Young days. It’s one o the reasons they spent big on John Wall.
At his introductory press conference, Harrington talked about what he wants to bring to the team, as reported by J. Michael at CSNWashington.com.
“Just watching the way they finished the year when they were healthy, I just feel like this is a great opportunity where I could come in, help and try to push them over the top,” Harrington said. “The talent that’s on the roster with the guys that got a little bit of experience, with the young guys, I think it’s a good mix. Adding me to it, I can definitely help these guys….
“I’m going to try go get in here early, try to get with the guys and have like a mini-camp amongst the players where we can all get in here, start working out, start working to that goal of being a playoff team this year,” said Harrington, who relied on advice from Trevor Ariza, Wall and Nene before signing with Washington.
I think the Wizards are a playoff team in the East next season, likely a 7 or 8 seed but in the playoffs and that’s a start. Harrington and his attitude could be a part of that. If he can return to form as a stretch four he’ll be a bigger part of that.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 28
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16