Aug 14, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
The Pistons have worn red, white and blue uniforms for years and years. It’s become a classic look for one of the NBA’s flagship franchises.
Aside from a brief – and misguided – foray into teal during the 90s, the Pistons have remained true to that color scheme, a point of pride for Detroit fans. Above all, the Teal Era served as a wakeup call so fans stopped taking the red, white and blue for granted. Now, they appreciate those iconic colors even more.
So, the Pistons are venturing slightly outside their comfort zone with this new “Motor City” alternate uniform, which is a significantly darker shade than the Pistons’ typical blue.
— Detroit Pistons (@detroitpistons) August 14, 2013
Via the Pistons
You can better see the difference in blue with the photo the Pistons released teasing the new uniform:
Another teal mistake? No way.
I really like the new uniforms.
Previously, the Pistons’ alternate jerseys were red, and just for the sake of tradition, I hoped the new ones would remain red. But this is better.
The Pistons play in the suburb of Auburn Hills, but they still represent Detroit, the “Motor City,” and this is a great way to instill that. The jersey is simple and clean, and the font and number styles ensure it fits with the Pistons’ standard two uniforms.
If I have any complaint, it’s the hollow box, with a filled box at the waistline, created by the vertical piping on the side. I think I would have preferred piping that matched their standard road uniform, but the alternates look good from the front as they are, so I could cave.
Also, want an early indicator of the Pistons’ starting lineup?
Or maybe the Pistons know the 2004 NBA Finals MVP will sell jerseys, which is really the whole point of this exercise. At least the Pistons are going about it in a very aesthetically pleasing way.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50