Pistons reveal ‘Motor City’ alternate uniforms

Aug 14, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT

The Pistons have worn red, white and blue uniforms for years and years. It’s become a classic look for one of the NBA’s flagship franchises.

Aside from a brief – and misguided – foray into teal during the 90s, the Pistons have remained true to that color scheme, a point of pride for Detroit fans. Above all, the Teal Era served as a wakeup call so fans stopped taking the red, white and blue for granted. Now, they appreciate those iconic colors even more.

So, the Pistons are venturing slightly outside their comfort zone with this new “Motor City” alternate uniform, which is a significantly darker shade than the Pistons’ typical blue.

motorcityback

Via the Pistons

You can better see the difference in blue with the photo the Pistons released teasing the new uniform:

Another teal mistake? No way.

I really like the new uniforms.

Previously, the Pistons’ alternate jerseys were red, and just for the sake of tradition, I hoped the new ones would remain red. But this is better.

The Pistons play in the suburb of Auburn Hills, but they still represent Detroit, the “Motor City,” and this is a great way to instill that. The jersey is simple and clean, and the font and number styles ensure it fits with the Pistons’ standard two uniforms.

If I have any complaint, it’s the hollow box, with a filled box at the waistline, created by the vertical piping on the side. I think I would have preferred piping that matched their standard road uniform, but the alternates look good from the front as they are, so I could cave.

Also, want an early indicator of the Pistons’ starting lineup?

Greg Monroe, Andre Drummond, Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings will almost certainly start. Maybe Chauncey Billups has an inside track on that fifth spot.

Or maybe the Pistons know the 2004 NBA Finals MVP will sell jerseys, which is really the whole point of this exercise. At least the Pistons are going about it in a very aesthetically pleasing way.

1. jimeejohnson - Aug 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM

“Can’t forget that Motor City!”

2. beach305 - Aug 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM

meh

3. dezglobal - Aug 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM

The darker colors are cool… but thats about it.

4. bugsygod - Aug 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Would like to have seen Motor at top and City down below the number.

• michflaguy - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Actually you have a great point…that would look very cool.

5. bifford - Aug 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Write me down for a Billups.

6. gatordontplay - Aug 14, 2013 at 2:18 PM

bankrupt city?

7. jamieaadams - Aug 14, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I’m no Pistons’ fan, but those are pretty nice.

8. philliesblow - Aug 14, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Not bad, but I’d rather see a modern twist on the Terry Tyler / John Long era lightning bolt jersey.

9. benjamincharlesparho - Aug 14, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Greg Monroe looks really excited about these. I am really excited about these. I can hardly contain myself.

10. sportsfan18 - Aug 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Motor City?

Detroit continue to shrivel up. In 1950, there were over 290,000 manufacturing jobs (not just auto manufacturing jobs) and there are now less than 27,000 manufacturing jobs in Detroit total meaning there are even less than that as far as auto manufacturing jobs go.

But GM is opening new plants in China…

Pretty soon calling Detroit the Motor City will be completely untrue.

So sad…

• michflaguy - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I think I speak for all Detroiters when I say…..blow me!
      The D will *always* be The Motor City.
      Fool.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Fool? I said that it’s so sad what has happened to Detroit. All the lost jobs, yet the auto companies are opening new plants in China instead of here in the U.S.

I want manufacturing jobs here in the U.S. and auto jobs in Detroit.

I was lamenting all the bad things that have happened to the city and saying it was sad that they had happened and then you put me down for feeling for your city and call me a fool.

Well, if you do speak for all in Detroit, then maybe the rest of us Americans shouldn’t feel bad like I was about Detroit losing jobs, plants opening in China etc…

11. staff2cj - Aug 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Government City!!

12. fruitcovejag - Aug 14, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Bankrupt City

13. jimsjam33 - Aug 15, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Don’t they play in Auburn Hills ?

• sportsfan18 - Aug 16, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Of course but you know full well what was meant. What about a certain pro football team that played in New Jersey for a long time yet called themselves the New York Giants?

14. anhdazman - Aug 15, 2013 at 5:08 AM

“The City” one and only and that belongs with the GSW baby. Knock off.

15. michflaguy - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Love the new uni’s.
    Would love to see one that simply says “The D” !
    Maybe that could be a one-timer this season.

16. thermanmerman99 - Aug 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM

should just put “wigger city” on them, since 99% of people who claim detroit arent even from there, usually from somewhere like kalamazoo and try to act like they are from detroit, or just one of those rich suburban kids from the northern suburbs trying to act like they are from the inner city, bunch of posers in michigan that is for sure

17. dezglobal - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM

If I owned the team I’d change the name to the “Detroit Bad Boys” and have black & blue jerseys.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches