Aug 14, 2013, 10:18 PM EST
The Knicks have the majority of their core returning from last year’s team that finished the regular season second in the Eastern Conference standings behind only the eventual champion Miami Heat.
But minutes or even positions won’t be guaranteed next year, because New York has added some key pieces this summer that the team hopes will take them deeper into the postseason.
That might explain Mike Woodson’s recent remarks.
From Ian Cutler of Newsday:
“That’s what we use camp for. I have no idea who’s going to start,” Woodson said. “Camp should be pretty competitive based on the talent, and that’s how it should be.”
Noticeably absent from that list of definite starters was Iman Shumpert, who started all 45 games he played in last season after returning midway through the year from an ACL injury suffered in the 2012 playoffs. Shumpert also started all 12 of the Knicks’ playoff games last season.
“You’ve got to go in and earn a spot,” Woodson said when asked about Shumpert’s status as a starter. “That’s how I look at it.”
Those are all guys who should command substantial minutes, and even might force Woodson to use some unconventional lineups. Carmelo Anthony played the majority of last season at the power forward spot, and won the league scoring title while doing so. But a healthier Amar’e Stoudemire, along with Bargnani might force Anthony to play more of the three next season.
Woodson did say that three of his starters in Anthony, Tyson Chandler, and Raymond Felton are locked in as of now. But given the changes to the roster, the other two spots appear to be completely up for grabs.
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 0
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 5
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23