Aug 14, 2013, 10:18 PM EDT
The Knicks have the majority of their core returning from last year’s team that finished the regular season second in the Eastern Conference standings behind only the eventual champion Miami Heat.
But minutes or even positions won’t be guaranteed next year, because New York has added some key pieces this summer that the team hopes will take them deeper into the postseason.
That might explain Mike Woodson’s recent remarks.
From Ian Cutler of Newsday:
“That’s what we use camp for. I have no idea who’s going to start,” Woodson said. “Camp should be pretty competitive based on the talent, and that’s how it should be.”
Noticeably absent from that list of definite starters was Iman Shumpert, who started all 45 games he played in last season after returning midway through the year from an ACL injury suffered in the 2012 playoffs. Shumpert also started all 12 of the Knicks’ playoff games last season.
“You’ve got to go in and earn a spot,” Woodson said when asked about Shumpert’s status as a starter. “That’s how I look at it.”
Those are all guys who should command substantial minutes, and even might force Woodson to use some unconventional lineups. Carmelo Anthony played the majority of last season at the power forward spot, and won the league scoring title while doing so. But a healthier Amar’e Stoudemire, along with Bargnani might force Anthony to play more of the three next season.
Woodson did say that three of his starters in Anthony, Tyson Chandler, and Raymond Felton are locked in as of now. But given the changes to the roster, the other two spots appear to be completely up for grabs.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 15
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21