Aug 14, 2013, 12:03 PM EDT
We’ve been telling you this is coming for days, but now it is official:
Al Harrington is a Wizard.
The team made the announcement (CSNWashington.com has some additional details). This is a one-year deal for the veteran minimum.
“Al’s all-around game and reputation as a leader make him a solid fit with our team,” Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld said in a released statement. “He will give us additional depth and experience in the frontcourt, the ability to stretch defenses and another proven veteran in the locker room.”
Washington has a number of bigs on the roster but they wanted to use the 15th spot on the roster for the one thing they didn’t have — a stretch four. Two seasons ago Harrington was that in Denver, averaging 14.2 points a game and shooting 33.3 percent from beyond the arc.
However, last season a surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee became a staph infection that got pretty serious. He played in just 10 games for the Magic last season (in part because they were focused on playing their young guys). Since then Harrington has dropped 27 pounds and says he is healthy and ready to go next season.
It’s not a bad gamble for the Wizards, this isn’t much of a price and if he is healthy this is a player the Wizards can use.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 0
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 1
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 19
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 26
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4