Aug 14, 2013, 12:03 PM EDT
We’ve been telling you this is coming for days, but now it is official:
Al Harrington is a Wizard.
The team made the announcement (CSNWashington.com has some additional details). This is a one-year deal for the veteran minimum.
“Al’s all-around game and reputation as a leader make him a solid fit with our team,” Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld said in a released statement. “He will give us additional depth and experience in the frontcourt, the ability to stretch defenses and another proven veteran in the locker room.”
Washington has a number of bigs on the roster but they wanted to use the 15th spot on the roster for the one thing they didn’t have — a stretch four. Two seasons ago Harrington was that in Denver, averaging 14.2 points a game and shooting 33.3 percent from beyond the arc.
However, last season a surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee became a staph infection that got pretty serious. He played in just 10 games for the Magic last season (in part because they were focused on playing their young guys). Since then Harrington has dropped 27 pounds and says he is healthy and ready to go next season.
It’s not a bad gamble for the Wizards, this isn’t much of a price and if he is healthy this is a player the Wizards can use.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 0
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 3
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 2
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 68
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 65
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14