Aug 14, 2013, 12:03 PM EDT
We’ve been telling you this is coming for days, but now it is official:
Al Harrington is a Wizard.
The team made the announcement (CSNWashington.com has some additional details). This is a one-year deal for the veteran minimum.
“Al’s all-around game and reputation as a leader make him a solid fit with our team,” Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld said in a released statement. “He will give us additional depth and experience in the frontcourt, the ability to stretch defenses and another proven veteran in the locker room.”
Washington has a number of bigs on the roster but they wanted to use the 15th spot on the roster for the one thing they didn’t have — a stretch four. Two seasons ago Harrington was that in Denver, averaging 14.2 points a game and shooting 33.3 percent from beyond the arc.
However, last season a surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee became a staph infection that got pretty serious. He played in just 10 games for the Magic last season (in part because they were focused on playing their young guys). Since then Harrington has dropped 27 pounds and says he is healthy and ready to go next season.
It’s not a bad gamble for the Wizards, this isn’t much of a price and if he is healthy this is a player the Wizards can use.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 40
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 18
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6