Gia Allemand, girlfriend of Pelicans’ Ryan Anderson, dies of suicide at age 29

Aug 14, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT

via Gia Allemand on Instagram

UPDATE 5:39 p.m.: The family released a statement through a representative confirming that the cause of death was an apparent suicide. Anderson was the one who found Alleman in her home on Monday night, via Today.com.

“The model’s boyfriend, Ryan Anderson, who plays for the NBA’s New Orleans Pelicans, found Allemand in her New Orleans home Monday night and called 911. She was rushed to University Hospital in critical condition and placed on life support.”

“Due to a critical loss of brain and organ function, life support was withdrawn (Wednesday),” the family’s statement read. “Ms. Allemand passed away peacefully with her mother, boyfriend and other life-long friends by her side.”

4:12 p.m.: Gia Allemand, reality television star and girlfriend of the New Orleans Pelicans’ Ryan Anderson, has died at age 29 according to multiple reports.

From Today.com:

The 29-year-old model, who appeared on season 14 of the hit reality series [The Bachelor], was taken to University Hospital in New Orleans on Monday night.

According to a rep for the reality star, she was listed in critical condition following a serious emergency medical event, the details of which are currently not known.

We learned of the situation on Tuesday, but no further details of what caused the medical emergency were available then, and none have been released at this time.

The Pelicans acquired Anderson last summer via a sign-and-trade with the Orlando Magic. He averaged 16.2 points and 6.4 rebounds in 30.9 minutes per game in New Orleans this past season.

Our thoughts remain with Anderson and all those close to Allemand.

1. fnc111 - Aug 14, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Dang she was a hottie

2. stoudemelo - Aug 14, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Sad story. Thoughts and prayers go out to the families.

• fanofevilempire - Aug 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM

rip

3. jtbaudendistel - Aug 14, 2013 at 4:45 PM

She killed herself. Sad

• eventhorizon04 - Aug 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM

That rumor is unconfirmed but most likely given what we know – and don’t know.

If she were the victim of either a car accident or an act of violence, there would have been a police report. At age 29, it’s unlikely (but still possible) she suffered an acute medical event like a heart attack or stroke.

So in the case of sudden death for someone so young, particularly when the family has gone to great lengths to ensure no information is leaked to the media, suicide is a definite possibility.

Rest in peace.

• fanofevilempire - Aug 14, 2013 at 5:23 PM

not really, if that made her happy, live and let live.

• bigmizzax - Aug 14, 2013 at 6:07 PM

….except for the “live” part.

4. 407magic - Aug 14, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Ryan’s a great guy. Sad story whatever the cause of death was.

• fanofevilempire - Aug 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM

do you know Ryan or did you watch a few games, what a knucklehead.

• cowboysfaninbuffalove - Aug 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Who says knucklehead anymore

• reediddy - Aug 14, 2013 at 9:29 PM

not trying to be public enemy #1 here, i’ll save that designation for you fanofevilempire, but I am 100% with you on this point. I’ll bank on 407magic not knowing anything about Ryan on a personal level and basing his/her opinion based on the fact that Ryan is a great basketball player and is currently going through a tragedy. I’m all for sending your prayers his way and I’m doing the same, but draw the line somewhere

• dondada10 - Aug 14, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Do your home broadcasters ever banter about players? Their charitable efforts? Does your home broadcast ever do one of those 30 minute special on a player? I know mine does. And you find out about players. Sometimes you find out that somebody’s a good guy and you never had to meet him.

5. atrivino37 - Aug 14, 2013 at 5:10 PM

so sad to see stuff like this.. prayers

• fanofevilempire - Aug 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM

people die everyday, all over the place, control yourself.

6. thraiderskin - Aug 14, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Damn… 29 years old. No matter how it went down, its a damn shame.

• fanofevilempire - Aug 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM

another emotional wreck, you telling me this is the first death you have experienced?

• kingwithringz - Aug 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM

@fanofevilempire Have a heart dude. Prick.

• fanofevilempire - Aug 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM

king, have some respect, wise ass.

• andyhr17 - Aug 14, 2013 at 10:41 PM

fanofevilempire is just a lonely pathetic troll with nothing else to do but try to say the worst things possible hoping to get responses. If you ignore people like that, they generally go away.

• florida727 - Aug 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM

You probably wouldn’t be such as @$$hole if you’ve ever known someone that’s taken their own life. I have a friend who did, and just like Allemand, he seemingly had everything going for him. Good looking guy, tons of money, loved his work, and something triggers that kind of emotion. You need to learn a lot about life, sport.

• ryanrockzzz - Aug 15, 2013 at 7:19 AM

It takes a big man to talk trash in a comment section. Whatever keeps you in your mom’s basement at night….

7. espfdps - Aug 14, 2013 at 5:41 PM

How does BS messages like @fanofevilempire get allowed to be posted??? Who screens this stuff!

• fanofevilempire - Aug 14, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I should smack you in the head, run and tell like a little hen.

• fanofthegame79 - Aug 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM

People like you make this world a little worse. I know you don’t care – evidence of that is in your posts – but it still should be said. Don’t you remember the old child saying: “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”?

• zeedoubleyou - Aug 14, 2013 at 9:36 PM

@fanofevilempire

Friggin sociopath, seriously dude? Have some respect.

• sabatimus - Aug 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Nobody, apparently. He seems to think suicide is a joke. Such a bitter, compassionless person.

8. brotherlove2012 - Aug 14, 2013 at 5:50 PM

• sabatimus - Aug 14, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I thumbed this down. Not because I think the article isn’t helpful, but because it’s so very sad. Anyone who’s been at that precipice (and didn’t do it, of course) will probably relate to the utter chaos or surreality, sheer pain, and the calm that goes with wanting to do it.

9. brotherlove2012 - Aug 14, 2013 at 5:50 PM

This pretty much confirms the suicde … Sad story indeed.

10. harper2 - Aug 14, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I used to know Ryan back in high school, and honestly he has not changed one bit. He is truly the nicest class act guy. I am devastated for him

11. reediddy - Aug 14, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Sure, it’s a sad story and my heart goes out to Mr. Anderson and Ms. Allemand’s family for having to go through this tragedy, but that’s where I’ll stop. I have no sympathy for Ms. Allemand herself as she took what I believe to be the selfish route and “allegedly” commit suicide. Too many people in the world are going through real trials and tribulation and would go to the ends of the earth to be in the position she was in, her fame and the company she kept. I don’t want to go any further because I have no idea what she was going through but I will say that people need to be more appreciative of their current circumstances

• sabatimus - Aug 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM

“I don’t want to go any further because I have no idea what she was going through”

Then don’t assume she wasn’t going through “real trials”, simply because she was famous. You know nothing of what she was going through, so shut your mouth.

• brianspider - Aug 14, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Its obvious you have no understanding of how debilitating mental disease can be. Your comment is just more evidence of how marginalized mental health remains in today’s society.

12. multiplemiggs - Aug 14, 2013 at 6:36 PM

but its ok to laugh about Manti Teos fake gf and he gets a job….effing scumbag

13. kb2408 - Aug 14, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Man, a story like this just puts things into perspective. Sports are just a diversion from real life issues.

14. rgledz - Aug 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM

@reediddy……your comment is as selfish as it gets. You have no idea what her place in life and you have no idea what she was dealing with personally. People who commit suicide are in a place darker than any place you or I have ever known. When somebody gets to the point of taking their own lives, they don’t look at it as selfish, they see it as the only way out and loved ones will be better off.

• sabatimus - Aug 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Exactly. That post made me very angry.

• reediddy - Aug 14, 2013 at 9:15 PM

@rgledz I respect your opinion and apologize if you’re offended. That being said I did, in the second to last sentence, concede that I had no idea what she was going through, which I why I didn’t elaborate. In addition, you yourself concede that they are supposedly in a darker place than you or I have ever known. If that’s the case, how do you know that they get to a point where it isn’t selfish; basically, how do you know what their intentions are? I believe it to be a selfish action but I concede I have no idea what the motivating factor was.

@sabatimus instead of being so “angry” offer a rational explanation or retort. no one cares if you’re angry

• sabatimus - Aug 14, 2013 at 10:04 PM

The rational retort was posted underneath your original comment. I see you neglected to see it.

• sabatimus - Aug 14, 2013 at 10:05 PM

In case you need me to bail you out from having to scroll up, I said this:

15. brownsfan33 - Aug 14, 2013 at 7:07 PM

@rediddy

Who is to say what trials and tribulations are “real” and what aren’t. There has been some interesting research showing that half of the people in the US consider taking their own life. The number one reason? To escape emotional pain. While some may argue that certain problems are ‘worse’ than others, it really does not work that way. Human language and thought allows us to experience immense pain, even when not in direct contact with painful circumstances.

Think about it – if every other person you meet on a daily basis has thought about killing themselves, then clearly there is something about being human that makes life difficult. No matter how much money and comforts we have, we can still suffer great amounts. It’s hard to be ‘happy,’ to live a life free of pain and suffering. Rich people, famous people, poor people, depressed people, successful people, they all experience loss and pain and human language and thought allows that pain to be always present. And our society perpetuates the message that we should always be happy and that sadness and upsetting feelings are bad and should be avoided. So just by thinking we can see ourselves as worthless or our life as hopeless, regardless of actual circumstances.

16. kb2408 - Aug 14, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Some of you guys are just pathetic. Like someone before me asked, how does some of these comments even make it past the screener, if there is a screener. Karma is real…and some of you just might find out the hard way.

17. jimeejohnson - Aug 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM

evilempire: is tonight your crack and/or meth night?

18. bifford - Aug 15, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Poor gold digger.

19. sfsugator - Aug 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM

killing your self is the most selfish thing you can do, I feel bad for her family and the scaring image ryan will have for the rest of his life finding his girlfriend lifeless.

• florida727 - Aug 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM

It’s harsh to say, so I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of people thumbs-downed your post, but you’re right. Professional psychologists even say that. It’s selfish because it “fixes” YOUR problem. It’s creates a myriad of issues for those left behind to deal with the aftermath… unfortunately.

20. chrisanderson2013 - Aug 15, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Even if Ryan Anderson was the biggest loser on this planet (Not saying he is) He’s still facing a tragic loss and deserves our prayers, Bad things happen to good people as well as bad people.

21. bigmeechy74 - Aug 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM

This sucks. Really sad. But I get so tired of the hollow “thoughts and prayers” comments. Those comments couldn’t mean any less. You all should Just type “Hey look how classy I am by writing this thoughts and prayers thing. Please give me thumbs up. Thanks.”

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview