Aug 14, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Brook Lopez had an excellent season for the Brooklyn Nets last year, averaging 19.4 points, 6.9 rebounds and over two blocks per game while being named to his first All-Star team. The center received bad news right after the season ended, though, and was forced to undergo a third surgery on his right foot in less than two years.
The 7-footer was just recently able to get rid of his walking boot, but he’s not yet healthy enough to jump and run on the injured limb. He plans to be ready by training camp, however, according to the quotes he gave Tim Bontemps of the New York Post.
“I’m not fully working out. I’m not jumping or running or anything like that, but we have a good month-and-a-half just until training camp starts, so we’ll definitely be all right by then.”
The Nets’ trade for Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Jason Terry this offseason was made to put Brooklyn in contention for a championship sooner rather than later, making it imperative that their center is ready to perform like an All-Star for the next few seasons before their window closes. That means Lopez will have to get over his nagging foot injury, something that seems like a possibility if there aren’t any more flukey things like bent screws happening in his size 20 sneakers.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 2
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)