Aug 14, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Recently acquired Knick Andrea Bargnani is expected to play with the Italian National team at EuroBasket next month, except right now he is not with the team.
We told you a few days ago a respiratory infection has caused him to miss several tune-up games and more than a week of practice. While he hopes to be back for the Sept. 7 tournament tip off, he’s not sure he can.
You want more details? Bargnani said it was Pneumonia on twitter (in Italian). All he said in English was this.
Too bad I can't practice with my national team . I'm at home trying to get better as quick as possible.—
Andrea Bargnani (@AndreaBargnani) August 13, 2013
Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs that even with treatment will take a few weeks to clear up. This has apparently dragged on a little bit, but it shouldn’t impact the Knicks at all, he’ll be fine by camp
The Knick are counting on Bargnani to space the floor and provide a little scoring punch to the bench units. Basically what the Raptors hoped Bargnani would do, but they gave up on that hope.
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 13: Talking Asik, Gasol trades plus NBA Draft with Rob Dauster 0
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. 23
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 6
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 2
- Report: Knicks’ owner shoots down trade to get team Kyle Lowry 26
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (53)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (40)