Phil Jackson has a message for Kendrick Lamar after being mentioned in his latest song

Aug 13, 2013, 5:14 PM EST

Phil Jackson Getty Images

Kendrick Lamar set the hip-hop world ablaze on Tuesday, after dropping a verse in the Big Sean song ‘Control’ that many believe to be among the year’s best.

Lamar name-checked several other rappers on the track, the lyrics of which can be read here in their entirety — though many of them (as you should have already guessed) would be considered “not safe for work.”

He also managed to work in the name of Phil Jackson.

The line goes like this: “If Phil Jackson came back, still no coachin’ me. I’m uncoachable, I’m unsociable …”

Discussion of Lamar’s verse was omnipresent online, so it’s perhaps not too surprising that someone reached out to Jackson via Twitter to see if he had any thoughts on being mentioned.

As it turned out, he did, and sent a message to Lamar in response.

Even in retirement, Phil Jackson remains winning.

1. DonKellyBaby - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:19 PM

You know music has gone to crap when a Kendrick Lamar song is mentioned as “among the year’s bests.”

• spthegr8 - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:45 PM

You say that like Kendrick suck’s or something. IMO, he isn’t the best rapper out but he is good and he is talented. & he didn’t say Kendrick Lamar had the “best song”, he said believed to among the years best VERSES. It’s Big Sean’s song. Do you even listen to hip-hop???

• spthegr8 - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Rap is not what it used too be but, Kendrick Lamar isn’t bad. Just Sayin’!!

• 00maltliquor - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:56 PM

KL got bars. He’s probably the most lyrical new jack out there in mainstream rap.

• spthegr8 - Aug 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM

@malt
        I agree and the verse he was talkin about in the article is ain’t bad @ all!! Kendrick goes IN!!!!

• allday2k - Aug 14, 2013 at 3:07 AM

@maltliquor
        I think Kendrick is one of the better rappers out there (which IMO says a lot about how far current rap has fallen) but the best rapper out right now is Big K.R.I.T hands down. He’s got that classic southern flow. Reminds me of UGK in their prime.

• allday2k - Aug 14, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Truth is though, if they were around 10-15 years ago both would be no better than middle of the pack probably. Kinda makes me sad how far music quality has declined.

• ljllittle - Aug 14, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Not certain if y’all heard of RHYME….check him out on Jango. The rapper best I’ve heard in years.

• badintent - Aug 15, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Pitbull rules !! most records , emmy’s , everything. Rap died when RunDMC closed shop.

• av416 - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM

You need to educate yourself pal. Music as a whole is going downhill everyone knows it, and more so than ever in hip hop, but to insinuate Kendrick is even close to the source of that shows you literally have no idea what your talking about. Troll elsewhere.

• DonKellyBaby - Aug 13, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Swimming Pools and Kill my Vibe are his only good songs.

Rap is horrible nowadays. Not one artist is worth a damn.

• zfeint - Aug 13, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Ever since music has been around, people have been bashing other genres and saying it’s going downhill. You’re nothing new, bud. Get over yourself, elitist.

• loungefly74 - Aug 14, 2013 at 9:04 AM

no way, man…you are just not looking. there is tons of great stuff out there. i was saying the same stuff you were saying till i realized people older than me said the same thing! i get opinions from younger people (heck…anyone) and that helped a lot. yeah, that early 90’s (grunge, gangsta rap,etc) is still my favorite…but to say music is going downhill? nope…you are just being left behind. you are not evolving. that mentality is one who is stuck and can’t move forward. they want the same exact sound/vibe on every album from their favorite artists…and then get disappointed when they moved on to something else…well guess what? music evolves…it always has and will. you sound like them old folks sitting on the front porch saying, “it went all downhill after the Charleston!”.

• campbellhoward - Aug 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM

If that’s how you feel about it being K Dot, who are some artist that you think should be mentioned as this years best. The way I see it if you have issues with someone like him then you are putting him in the same category as Future, Two Chains, French Montana and Trinidad James just to name a few….I hope you see the difference

2. cbking05 - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Is Kendrick Lamar the guy that married Khloe

3. 00maltliquor - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:40 PM

^You obviously either haven’t heard Kendrick Lamar &/or you just don’t like/listen to rap alltogether.

I do agree rap has gone to crap, but Kendrick is not the problem.

• DonKellyBaby - Aug 13, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I’ve heard of KL and I do listen to rap. However, I listen to good rap and not the crap the “new age” crap you listen to.

• dondada10 - Aug 13, 2013 at 9:27 PM

But when critiquing Kendrick Lamar you only mentioned his two radio singles: Bitch, Don’t Kill my Vibe and Swimming Pools.

I’m my opinion, Overly Dedicated was ground breaking and Section 80 was gold. Kendrick’s newer stuff is good, but Dr. Dre is digging his claws too much into Kendrick’s producing.

Also to everybody saying Kendrick is one of the better new rappers, google K. Dot.

• denverhoopdreams - Aug 13, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Kendrick Lamar is far from “new age” if that is what you call the crap out nowadays. If you do listen to good rap, and rap, do yourself a favor and get a guy that has every legend in the rap game sweatin’ his stuff.

• deadeyedesign23 - Aug 13, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I’m curious what you consider good rap?

• 00maltliquor - Aug 14, 2013 at 1:22 AM

You got me twisted homie. One, I don’t listen to the radio. Can’t even tell you one single song that’s on. Two, I could probably school everyone harder in rap convos then I do bball. I don’t listen to many new rappers out there, but I will give it up to KL, he’s nice with it. Plus most of the CDs I own are over a decade old, I REALLY don’t have any of the new stuff. I don’t even own an ipod. I still use CDs.

• loungefly74 - Aug 14, 2013 at 9:08 AM

my favorite rap song talks about a guy getting a letter from the government the other day…

• dacapt704 - Aug 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM

^ Are you a philosopher? Yes…I think very deeply..

4. abchome - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Hmmm, thought this is about Kendrick Perkins and Lamar Odom.

5. dezglobal - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:46 PM

So Phil is a big rap fan I see

• jimeejohnson - Aug 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Not even close.

6. aaroncurryisbust - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:50 PM

How is that corny response in any way considered “winning”? Also, Kendrick Lamar is overrated poop.

7. ron05342 - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Rap’s crap.

8. m3dman3 - Aug 13, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I love hip hop/rap. But all of it sucks today, bunch of sell out auto tuned BS artists. Kendrick included.

9. dgbk - Aug 13, 2013 at 7:17 PM

When the last time auto tune was really relevant and hip hop two or three years ago if not longer.. The music isn’t the same but that criticism is invalid and weak.

10. bizmarks12 - Aug 13, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Kendrick Lamar is the NBA version of a clone of Lamar Odom and Kendrick Perkins. In other words he sucks .

11. lakerade - Aug 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I just listen to it for the beat.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Yeah, and I just look at Playboy for the articles!

• herlies - Aug 13, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Actually, for me it would be like only looking at Playboy for the pictures.

I could not care less about these about rap lyrics and a “message” that I have no interest in.

Could be a nursery rhyme in Latin for all I care, as long as the track sounds good.

• antistratfordian - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:20 PM

There is no message in the verse in question. Just matter-of-course braggadocio level stuff.

• dirtydavis - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Lmao!!!

• badintent - Aug 15, 2013 at 12:36 AM

That;s what Jimmy Carter said. !

12. jadaruler - Aug 13, 2013 at 11:25 PM

It was strong verse on another bad Big Sean song.

Hope Phil is back coaching next season. I’m thinking either Houston or New York.

13. itsonlyaspeedbump - Aug 14, 2013 at 2:27 AM

I would love it if KL replied to Phil Jackson on Twitter and just said

–‘B**** dont kill my vibe.’–

14. northstarnic - Aug 14, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Gotta love these stories about the NBA/hip-pop thing. Just supports the notion that the NBA is more about pop culture than sport.

15. bigsdawg - Aug 14, 2013 at 4:05 AM

Verse isn’t even really that tight a verse IMO and the beat sucks like just about every beat now a days if it isn’t produced by DJ Paul IMO. He mentions Big Sean with all the people he “called out” and it’s Bug Sean’s song so I don’t see what the big fuss is about the mediocre song.

16. azarkhan - Aug 14, 2013 at 10:50 AM

It’s all been done before. “Take it to the Stage” by Funkadelic (‘Earth, hot air and no fire’):

17. skinsfanwill - Aug 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I like that ” B….Don’t Kill my Vibe” song. That’s exactly what women do, kill your vibe.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches