Not a surprise: Scottie Pippen very high on Bulls this season (VIDEO)

Aug 13, 2013, 8:44 AM EST

Scottie Pippen thinks the Chicago Bulls are going to be very good, very dangerous this season.

In other news, Mick Jagger is old.

Comcast SportsNet Chicago caught up with Pippen at his youth camp and talked about the Bulls, and as you can see above  he is high on this team. As he should be — with Derrick Rose back they will be a top three seed in the East. How far they can go in the playoffs remains to be seen, but they will be good.

Here are the money quotes:

“I’m excited [about the upcoming season]. I think going forward we really have a great opportunity to put ourselves among the elite teams in the game. With the emergence of Jimmy Butler—I’ve seen him in the gym this summer—I know that kid is really preparing  himself to be a better player.

“I don’t have to say anything about our veterans like Luol [Deng] and [Carlos] Boozer. I know those guys are going to show up in shape ready to go. We all know Derrick spent a lot of time working and trying to get himself back at a high level. If we can stay healthy, we’re going to be an exciting team to watch this season.”

Also, he loves the Mike Dunleavy pickup.

“I think Mike Dunleavy was definitely a great pickup. He’s a kid that I’ve been able to watch grow up in my years out in Portland. I know he’s a gym rat. And he’s definitely going to put in his time and do a great job for us this season.”

1. saint1997 - Aug 13, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I understand all desires and hopes for this Bulls team as it is, however I see real potential in some moves they can make. Keep Rose, Butler and Noah but see what kind of 2 guards you could get for Deng – to stretch the floor and take pressure off Rose (Shumpert or Gordon?). Also they could be able to find a nice replacement for Boozer (Taj is amazing or trade for a guy like Ilyasova) and still have guys like Dunleavy, Snell etc. off the pine

• lmoneyfresh - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM

So you send an all-star like Deng for a backup 2 guard like Gordon or Shump? Those are nice players and all but unless you got a high draft pick or something to go along with that you might as well keep Deng because then you lose any depth you had at the 3. Also, between Butler, Hinrich and Snell the Bulls shooting looks good going forward.

I think a lot of people are underestimating the impact Butler will have being the full time starter at the 2. He’s big, plays great D, draws fouls and can shoot the 3. With Dunleavy and Hinrich to spell him and Snell stepping in at the 3 with his shooting/defense they are actually pretty well set at the 2-3 spots. If anything they need depth at the 4-5.

• legend30 - Aug 13, 2013 at 11:34 AM

The Bulls should trade Deng for a SG. First off he doesn’t show up during the playoffs. Next he’s in his contract year, so this would be the right year for the Bulls to trade him, instead of handing him a 4 year – $56 million contract (He wants a similar contract as Iggy). They would be trading for a starting SG because Jimmy Butler would get to play his natural position, SF.

• lmoneyfresh - Aug 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I agree that Deng should be traded, I just can’t decide for what. IMO, Butler should stay at the 2 due in fact to how well he performed there last year and having Dunleavy and Snell who play the 3. Butler creates a mismatch at the 2 with his size and if he and Deng are on the floor at the same time that’s 2 lock down defenders.

Maybe if the Bulls could manage somehow to package Deng and Boozer for a legit 4 and a pick? I dunno. I’m really not sure which direction to go but I think that SG is actually one of their strong suits now. Sure they don’t have a “star” at the position but they have what seems to be a solid starter and some good depth.

2. boltsup - Aug 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I’ve had Chicago as my team to win it going towards the upcoming season… they play hard no matter what, no matter who’s on the court

• nycalldayz - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM

They play hard, then break down come playoffs. Thibs needs to manage minutes. It’s not always about seeding, but how u finish.

3. nycalldayz - Aug 13, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I like watching the Bulls, but I don’t think they’re going to be as good as some are making them out to be. The Bulls are not a one-man-team and it’s unfair to assume Rose will be the same. He’s returning from ACL surgery after sitting out a full-season. Can’t expect Rose to be the Rose of 2011. Also, the Bulls bench depth is probably the weakest since 2010. Despite adding an injury prone Dunleavy the bench is not deep. The loss of Marco and Nate will be missed. The Bulls will likely be a playoff team, but I would be surprise if they get 1, 2, 3 or 4 seed.

4. skinsfanwill - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM

There is no team willing to pick up that contract Boozer has so you can all forget that dream. Deng is one of the hardest working guys on that team. you can fall for the jimmy Butler hype if you want, but he is no way in the same class as Deng. Deng was sick during the playoffs and played more minutes than anyone in the league. Cut him some slack. he gave that team all he could. Thibs better find some depth at the 3 to spell the man.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches