Aug 13, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
Jerry Lucas was one of the NBA’s legendary rebounders, pulling down 12,942 over the course of his career (15.6 per game), while averaging 17 rebounds a game. He played for the Knicks and Warriors and when it was all said and done he was a Hall of Famer and a member of the original NBA’s 50 Greatest Players list (put together in 1996).
Now you can own his 1960 Gold Medal, his 1970 Knicks championship ring and other memorabilia.
For the past five decades, some of Jerry Lucas’ most prized possessions from the 1960 Rome Olympics, Ohio State University and his NBA career have been stuffed in cardboard boxes and stored in his closest…
Lucas said for years the items were stored in his home. Because he couldn’t divide the items fairly among his family, he said selling them through Grey Flannel Auctions was “the right thing to do at this time…”
If I had a gold medal the thing would be displayed prominently over the mantle and it would be the first thing I would show everyone who walked through the door. Not Lucas, never displayed them. So, he’s not really going to miss them.
“Things don’t mean a lot to me,” he said. “They never have. I have real great memories associated with them, but they’re hard to see when they’re in a closet.”
Now, you can display the fruits of his labor — but it’s going to coast you. The gold medal can’t be sold for less than $250,000. But you’ve got that kind of money lying around, so why not jump in?
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36