Hall of Famer Jerry Lucas to auction off Gold Medal, 1970 Knicks championship ring

Aug 13, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT

Jerry Lucas Getty Images

Jerry Lucas was one of the NBA’s legendary rebounders, pulling down 12,942 over the course of his career (15.6 per game), while averaging 17 rebounds a game. He played for the Knicks and Warriors and when it was all said and done he was a Hall of Famer and a member of the original NBA’s 50 Greatest Players list (put together in 1996).

Now you can own his 1960 Gold Medal, his 1970 Knicks championship ring and other memorabilia.

Lucas is auctioning the stuff off, reports the Middletown Journal in Ohio (via The Point Forward at SI).

For the past five decades, some of Jerry Lucas’ most prized possessions from the 1960 Rome Olympics, Ohio State University and his NBA career have been stuffed in cardboard boxes and stored in his closest…

Lucas said for years the items were stored in his home. Because he couldn’t divide the items fairly among his family, he said selling them through Grey Flannel Auctions was “the right thing to do at this time…”

If I had a gold medal the thing would be displayed prominently over the mantle and it would be the first thing I would show everyone who walked through the door. Not Lucas, never displayed them. So, he’s not really going to miss them.

“Things don’t mean a lot to me,” he said. “They never have. I have real great memories associated with them, but they’re hard to see when they’re in a closet.”

Now, you can display the fruits of his labor — but it’s going to coast you. The gold medal can’t be sold for less than $250,000. But you’ve got that kind of money lying around, so why not jump in?

1. addictedzone - Aug 13, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Funny how people value things differently. Someone will likely bid $250,000 for the gold medal. If I won a gold medal it would be worth a million dollars to me. Someone else’s gold medal I probably wouldn’t buy for more than 5 bucks.

• fanofevilempire - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I ‘m out but @ that price Oprah can buy it and put it in her $38,000.00 bag.

2. adamsjohn714 - Aug 13, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Wow. Was this article typed on a smartphone? Which is it? (15.6) or 17 rebounds a game? Not knowing is really going to “coast” you. Not Lucas, never displayed them….. C’mon. Just leave out the comma and make it more fun for the reader.

• adoombray - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM

whichever it is, the number is ridiculous and he would be an 80 million dollar player these days.

There is a serious problem with Kurt being the Editor in Chief of the site and not being able to edit a single post ever though for sure

3. tannethrill - Aug 13, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Melo better get on that…it’s his best chance at a Knicks Championship ring.

• fanofevilempire - Aug 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM

must have been waiting a long time to bust that one out……

• jimeejohnson - Aug 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM

“…it’s his best chance of a Knicks Championship…”

You got that right!

4. saint1997 - Aug 13, 2013 at 9:06 AM

That’s incredible someone can reject the materialist culture we live in to such a point where they value memories more than tangible items. I respect his frankness of heart.

• addictedzone - Aug 13, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Rejects the materialist nature, but will sell it for $250,000? Ummm….

• NOLA in Focus - Aug 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Like a boss…

5. turdfurgerson68 - Aug 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM

One of the all-time underrated players in NBA history.

He, as well as a ton of other players from his era, deserve more recognition.

Sorry folks, the NBA/ABA did exist before Michael Jordan entered into it.

6. bresummers - Aug 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Lucas wasn’t on the 1970 Knick championship team. He was on the 1973 Championship team.

If he has a 1970 Championship ring, he got it at an auction.

For the record, he averaged 15.6 reb/game over his career.

He’s also one of only about three players to grab 40 rebounds in a game (Russell and Wilt being the others). Maybe there was one other 40 rebound game by someone, but I’m not sure.

7. bresummers - Aug 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Oh btw, he averaged 17 points per game. That’s where the 17 came from

8. bresummers - Aug 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM

And he spent the first 6 and 1/2 years of his career with the Cincinnati Royals (n/k/a the Sacramento Kings)

9. bresummers - Aug 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Nate Thurmond is the 4th player to get 40 rebounds in a game. Wilt, Russell, Lucas and Thurmond, that’s the list.

10. 57tim - Aug 13, 2013 at 3:11 PM

If I`m not mistaken the Knicks won the 71-72 championship not 70.I was a ball boy for them when they trained in my hometown in Jersey.I stood under the basket for hours as Jerry made one after another.He also memorized the Manhattan phone book.I played with all the guys but mostly Walt Frazier up and down the court on fast breaks.Willis Reed got me the job.Dean Meminger was hurt in pre- season so I did`nt play with him.All the players would take turns driving this 12-13 year old home every night on their way to the hotel.The most memorable was one night Walt gave me the keys to his Rolls(His Mother had a matching Rolls) and told me to drive around for an hour and pick him up.(He must have thought I was older).Being the scared kid that I was to drive his car I just sat in the parking lot.Three guy come up to the car to steal it and I fired it up and speed out of there.Thank God I learned to drive when I was 9 and already 6 feet tall.I never told Walt about that night. I loved Phil Jackson but him being a lefty always made me feel unconformable.Bill Bradley wore penny loafers with no socks and drove a Mercedes. Sorry guys but I`m a Heat fan now that I`ve been in FL. for 35 years.How many kids can say they worked for, played with and got driven home by the Champion NY Knicks?

11. 1historian - Aug 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM

They also won in 1970. I ALMOST envy you your memories, but being a Celts fan there’s only so far I can go.

I still remember Reed coming out on the court for the 7th game against the Lakers – the place went nuts, as did the announcers, everybody. GREAT memory.

12. knightrider1755 - Aug 15, 2013 at 4:02 PM

The Knicks won championships in 1970 and 1973. In the 1971-72 season the Knicks were in the NBA Finals but they lost to the Lakers.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches