Aug 13, 2013, 7:49 PM EDT
Dwight Howard wasn’t exactly receptive to criticism during his season with the Lakers, constructive or otherwise. He resisted playing the pick-and-roll offense that Mike D’Antoni wanted to run, and instead wanted more touches in the post, where the results were mixed at best.
Howard is attempting to improve his play down low by working out with Hakeem Olajuwon, whom the team hired for that express purpose following the signing of Howard in free agency.
While Howard was reportedly attentive and engaged throughout the workout session with Olajuwon and Kevin McHale, there still appears to be a certain level of resistance embedded somewhere in his psyche.
“Having these guys in my backyard and have them pushing me to the limit is just going to make me better,” said Howard after his 90-minute workout wrapped up. “It’s not about emulating Dream. That’s the thing. We get caught up in comparing players, trying to do what this guys does just because you work with him. The thing is, when you workout with a guy like Hakeem or Kevin McHale, you take away certain things. You don’t try to do everything they can do. I could workout with Michael Jordan, but I’m not going to be able to shoot the fadeaway like Michael Jordan.
Setting aside for a moment that Howard’s analogy makes zero sense — Michael Jordan, of course, was a shooting guard, while Olajuwon and McHale had Hall of Fame careers playing the same positions as Howard — this is either Howard trying to keep expectations low, or a sign that he still doesn’t get it.
There’s no reason not to try and emulate two of the greatest big men of all time, unless ego is getting in the way. Howard’s history would suggest that might be a possibility.
There’s more to it, obviously, and we won’t know how much Howard was willing to embrace until we see if he’s improved offensively during the regular season. The entire piece is well-written and definitely worth a read — though as a fair warning, Lakers fans may suffer vision loss from the extreme rolling of the eyes that may occur while digesting the article’s contents.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 0
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 12
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14