Aug 13, 2013, 7:49 PM EDT
Dwight Howard wasn’t exactly receptive to criticism during his season with the Lakers, constructive or otherwise. He resisted playing the pick-and-roll offense that Mike D’Antoni wanted to run, and instead wanted more touches in the post, where the results were mixed at best.
Howard is attempting to improve his play down low by working out with Hakeem Olajuwon, whom the team hired for that express purpose following the signing of Howard in free agency.
While Howard was reportedly attentive and engaged throughout the workout session with Olajuwon and Kevin McHale, there still appears to be a certain level of resistance embedded somewhere in his psyche.
“Having these guys in my backyard and have them pushing me to the limit is just going to make me better,” said Howard after his 90-minute workout wrapped up. “It’s not about emulating Dream. That’s the thing. We get caught up in comparing players, trying to do what this guys does just because you work with him. The thing is, when you workout with a guy like Hakeem or Kevin McHale, you take away certain things. You don’t try to do everything they can do. I could workout with Michael Jordan, but I’m not going to be able to shoot the fadeaway like Michael Jordan.
Setting aside for a moment that Howard’s analogy makes zero sense — Michael Jordan, of course, was a shooting guard, while Olajuwon and McHale had Hall of Fame careers playing the same positions as Howard — this is either Howard trying to keep expectations low, or a sign that he still doesn’t get it.
There’s no reason not to try and emulate two of the greatest big men of all time, unless ego is getting in the way. Howard’s history would suggest that might be a possibility.
There’s more to it, obviously, and we won’t know how much Howard was willing to embrace until we see if he’s improved offensively during the regular season. The entire piece is well-written and definitely worth a read — though as a fair warning, Lakers fans may suffer vision loss from the extreme rolling of the eyes that may occur while digesting the article’s contents.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18