Aug 12, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
The Suns made a draft night deal to move up and grab Archie Goodwin with the 29th overall pick, and though it’s extremely early in the 18-year old’s budding NBA career to project how things will turn out, he appears to have a very bright future.
Goodwin shined for the Suns during the Las Vegas Summer League, and seemed to possess a grasp of the game that’s well beyond his years. He’s also got a certain degree of confidence that should help him excel at the professional level, and that quality is also something he plans on using to motivate himself as he progresses.
From Tzvi Twersky of SLAM:
After a so-so freshman season on an underachieving University of Kentucky team ended with him sliding to No. 29 in the 2013 NBA Draft, Phoenix Suns guard Archie Goodwin has a simple message for the League:
“It would have been great to have been drafted where I thought I should have been,” Goodwin told SLAM during last week’s Panini photo shoot portion of the Rookie Transition Program. “Now every team that didn’t pick me, I’ve got to give them hell.”
“I know a lot of guys in this [Draft] class are not better than me,” said Goodwin. “I’m blessed to even be here, but to see how far I slid down—it was a surprise. Every game I go into, I’m showing every team that didn’t pick me that they made a mistake.”
Goodwin was never projected by most in the know to go much (if any) higher than where he did in the draft, though Suns GM Ryan McDonough said during Goodwin’s introductory press conference that his phone blew up with messages from front office personnel around the league congratulating him as soon as the pick was made.
Goodwin has work to do to earn enough minutes to impact the game the way he’ll want to in order to make those teams that passed on him wish they hadn’t. But the tools all appear to be in place, and based on these comments, the determination appears to be there, as well.
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 0
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 16
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18