Aug 12, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
The Suns made a draft night deal to move up and grab Archie Goodwin with the 29th overall pick, and though it’s extremely early in the 18-year old’s budding NBA career to project how things will turn out, he appears to have a very bright future.
Goodwin shined for the Suns during the Las Vegas Summer League, and seemed to possess a grasp of the game that’s well beyond his years. He’s also got a certain degree of confidence that should help him excel at the professional level, and that quality is also something he plans on using to motivate himself as he progresses.
From Tzvi Twersky of SLAM:
After a so-so freshman season on an underachieving University of Kentucky team ended with him sliding to No. 29 in the 2013 NBA Draft, Phoenix Suns guard Archie Goodwin has a simple message for the League:
“It would have been great to have been drafted where I thought I should have been,” Goodwin told SLAM during last week’s Panini photo shoot portion of the Rookie Transition Program. “Now every team that didn’t pick me, I’ve got to give them hell.”
“I know a lot of guys in this [Draft] class are not better than me,” said Goodwin. “I’m blessed to even be here, but to see how far I slid down—it was a surprise. Every game I go into, I’m showing every team that didn’t pick me that they made a mistake.”
Goodwin was never projected by most in the know to go much (if any) higher than where he did in the draft, though Suns GM Ryan McDonough said during Goodwin’s introductory press conference that his phone blew up with messages from front office personnel around the league congratulating him as soon as the pick was made.
Goodwin has work to do to earn enough minutes to impact the game the way he’ll want to in order to make those teams that passed on him wish they hadn’t. But the tools all appear to be in place, and based on these comments, the determination appears to be there, as well.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 31
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4