Aug 12, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
After six seasons in the NBA, Spencer Hawes is viewed by most as a serviceable big man who is capable of averaging just north of 11 points and seven rebounds per game when given more than 27 minutes per contest to do what he does best.
Hawes has never been viewed as a Kevin Durant type capable of scoring at will from anywhere on the floor, or as someone who can dominate offensively, even for brief stretches. But in the video clip above, taken at Jamal Crawford‘s Pro-Am in Seattle this past weekend, Hawes showed a full range of skills and was absolutely unstoppable.
Three-pointers? No problem. Flying dunks in traffic? That too. The one-legged Dirk fadeaway? He had that working, as well.
According to the video’s description from the guys at Ballislife.com, Hawes finished with 58 points on 19-of-30 shooting, while sinking 18 of his 22 free throw attempts. He also hauled down 17 rebounds.
The level of competition matters, of course, and it’s why Durant could drop 63 points at the same event. But we’ve come to expect things like this from Durant. In the case of Hawes, nobody saw this coming.
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 1
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 19
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 26
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14