Aug 12, 2013, 1:21 PM EDT
The Nets have six retired numbers, including Julius Irving (32), Buck Williams (52) and Drazen Petrovic (3).
Jason Kidd’s 5 should join them this season.
That’s not really a shock — he’s one of the franchise’s biggest stars, led them in their glory days of trips to the NBA Finals and is now back to coach them — but the news seems to have leaked out at the NBA rookie photo shoot.
Bleacher Report interviewed a bunch of rookies about why they chose their number and here is what the Nets’ Mason Plumlee said when asked about wearing 1 (via Beyond the Buzzer and The Basketball Jones):
“I wanted 5, 5 is what I wore in college. I don’t want to spoil it, but I think [the Nets] are going to retire it [for Jason Kidd]. 21 was what I was going to wear next and then they were said KG might want 21. Then 00 was taken so I went with the next number, number 1. ”
Follow this — Kevin Garnett wore 5 in Boston but is now 21, and no Net has worn 5 since Kidd was traded to Dallas five seasons ago. Combine that with the fact the Nets should retire the number, and that he’s back as the coach, and it’s not hard to see why this is coming.
Now we just need to sit back and wait for the official announcement.
Nobody should really question the move, Kidd had a Hall of Fame career — NBA champion, Rookie of the Year, 10-time All Star, five time All NBA First Team. IT’s well deserved, whenever it happens.
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 6
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 29
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35