Aug 12, 2013, 1:21 PM EDT
The Nets have six retired numbers, including Julius Irving (32), Buck Williams (52) and Drazen Petrovic (3).
Jason Kidd’s 5 should join them this season.
That’s not really a shock — he’s one of the franchise’s biggest stars, led them in their glory days of trips to the NBA Finals and is now back to coach them — but the news seems to have leaked out at the NBA rookie photo shoot.
Bleacher Report interviewed a bunch of rookies about why they chose their number and here is what the Nets’ Mason Plumlee said when asked about wearing 1 (via Beyond the Buzzer and The Basketball Jones):
“I wanted 5, 5 is what I wore in college. I don’t want to spoil it, but I think [the Nets] are going to retire it [for Jason Kidd]. 21 was what I was going to wear next and then they were said KG might want 21. Then 00 was taken so I went with the next number, number 1. ”
Follow this — Kevin Garnett wore 5 in Boston but is now 21, and no Net has worn 5 since Kidd was traded to Dallas five seasons ago. Combine that with the fact the Nets should retire the number, and that he’s back as the coach, and it’s not hard to see why this is coming.
Now we just need to sit back and wait for the official announcement.
Nobody should really question the move, Kidd had a Hall of Fame career — NBA champion, Rookie of the Year, 10-time All Star, five time All NBA First Team. IT’s well deserved, whenever it happens.
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 4
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 35
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 32
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 58
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25