Aug 12, 2013, 1:21 PM EDT
The Nets have six retired numbers, including Julius Irving (32), Buck Williams (52) and Drazen Petrovic (3).
Jason Kidd’s 5 should join them this season.
That’s not really a shock — he’s one of the franchise’s biggest stars, led them in their glory days of trips to the NBA Finals and is now back to coach them — but the news seems to have leaked out at the NBA rookie photo shoot.
Bleacher Report interviewed a bunch of rookies about why they chose their number and here is what the Nets’ Mason Plumlee said when asked about wearing 1 (via Beyond the Buzzer and The Basketball Jones):
“I wanted 5, 5 is what I wore in college. I don’t want to spoil it, but I think [the Nets] are going to retire it [for Jason Kidd]. 21 was what I was going to wear next and then they were said KG might want 21. Then 00 was taken so I went with the next number, number 1. ”
Follow this — Kevin Garnett wore 5 in Boston but is now 21, and no Net has worn 5 since Kidd was traded to Dallas five seasons ago. Combine that with the fact the Nets should retire the number, and that he’s back as the coach, and it’s not hard to see why this is coming.
Now we just need to sit back and wait for the official announcement.
Nobody should really question the move, Kidd had a Hall of Fame career — NBA champion, Rookie of the Year, 10-time All Star, five time All NBA First Team. IT’s well deserved, whenever it happens.
- Hawks unimpressive, but pull away late for Game 2 win over Wizards 0
- Mike Conley playing Game 2 against Warriors tonight 0
- John Wall out for Wizards-Hawks Game 2 tonight 3
- PBT Extra: Will Doc Rivers sit Chris Paul in Game 2? 0
- Tony Allen on MVP Stephen Curry: “It ain’t nothing I ain’t never seen before” 21
- PBT Extra: Grizzlies searching for answers, Mike Conley in Game 2 1
- PBT Extra: Hawks need to lean on starters more, hit open looks in Game 2 0
- CP3 who? Clippers come from behind to take Game 1 from Rockets on road. 23