Aug 12, 2013, 1:21 PM EDT
The Nets have six retired numbers, including Julius Irving (32), Buck Williams (52) and Drazen Petrovic (3).
Jason Kidd’s 5 should join them this season.
That’s not really a shock — he’s one of the franchise’s biggest stars, led them in their glory days of trips to the NBA Finals and is now back to coach them — but the news seems to have leaked out at the NBA rookie photo shoot.
Bleacher Report interviewed a bunch of rookies about why they chose their number and here is what the Nets’ Mason Plumlee said when asked about wearing 1 (via Beyond the Buzzer and The Basketball Jones):
“I wanted 5, 5 is what I wore in college. I don’t want to spoil it, but I think [the Nets] are going to retire it [for Jason Kidd]. 21 was what I was going to wear next and then they were said KG might want 21. Then 00 was taken so I went with the next number, number 1. ”
Follow this — Kevin Garnett wore 5 in Boston but is now 21, and no Net has worn 5 since Kidd was traded to Dallas five seasons ago. Combine that with the fact the Nets should retire the number, and that he’s back as the coach, and it’s not hard to see why this is coming.
Now we just need to sit back and wait for the official announcement.
Nobody should really question the move, Kidd had a Hall of Fame career — NBA champion, Rookie of the Year, 10-time All Star, five time All NBA First Team. IT’s well deserved, whenever it happens.
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 2
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 17
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 14
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 16
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7