Rumor: Nets to retire Jason Kidd’s number this season

Aug 12, 2013, 1:21 PM EDT

jason-kidd1 Getty Images

The Nets have six retired numbers, including Julius Irving (32), Buck Williams (52) and Drazen Petrovic (3).

Jason Kidd’s 5 should join them this season.

That’s not really a shock — he’s one of the franchise’s biggest stars, led them in their glory days of trips to the NBA Finals and is now back to coach them — but the news seems to have leaked out at the NBA rookie photo shoot.

Bleacher Report interviewed a bunch of rookies about why they chose their number and here is what the Nets’ Mason Plumlee said when asked about wearing 1 (via Beyond the Buzzer and The Basketball Jones):

“I wanted 5, 5 is what I wore in college. I don’t want to spoil it, but I think [the Nets] are going to retire it [for Jason Kidd]. 21 was what I was going to wear next and then they were said KG might want 21. Then 00 was taken so I went with the next number, number 1. ”

Follow this — Kevin Garnett wore 5 in Boston but is now 21, and no Net has worn 5 since Kidd was traded to Dallas five seasons ago. Combine that with the fact the Nets should retire the number, and that  he’s back as the coach, and it’s not hard to see why this is coming.

Now we just need to sit back and wait for the official announcement.

Nobody should really question the move, Kidd had a Hall of Fame career — NBA champion, Rookie of the Year, 10-time All Star, five time All NBA First Team. IT’s well deserved, whenever it happens.

1. 00maltliquor - Aug 12, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I was wondering who was gonna do it first out of DAL, NJ/BKN, or PHX. He palyed a long time and had a great impact on each franchise and could have his # retired at any of these places. I wonder if DAL does it, too. He got a ring there and played there the longest.

2. dezglobal - Aug 12, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I wonder if he asked for it when they were negotiating his coaching salary.

3. o2chaser - Aug 12, 2013 at 1:48 PM

KG is number 2, not 21. This is a tribute to Malik Sealy

4. phaden27 - Aug 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Shabazz isn’t 0 anymore?
    I guess after that little gaffe he decided it wasn’t worth it.

5. money2long - Aug 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM

salute.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches