Oden says after last surgery doctor told him to quit basketball

Aug 12, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT

Greg Oden Getty Images

Greg Oden is back with the Miami Heat because he is ignoring his doctor’s advice.

After his latest knee surgery, his doctor advised him to give up basketball, Oden said as reported by Ira Winderman at the Sun-Sentinel.

“After that surgery in 2012, my last surgery, the doctor said, ‘Just be a regular person, go live life. Be a regular person. You would be perfectly fine walking out of this place and not have to worry about any rehab or anything,’ ” Oden related during a news conference and conference call at St. Vincent Sports Performance in Indianapolis, where he endured the most grueling portions of his rehab work. “And I did, and then two weeks later, I was stuck onNBA TV. That’s just what I watch every day. I turn on TV and I’m watching NBA TV. I just wanted to play basketball. That’s my love; that’s what I wanted to do.”

Oden has reportedly looked good in workouts, his body is lean and he is moving well again. But that is very different than playing in an NBA game. Part of the reason he chose Miami is the lack of pressure to return quickly — the Heat don’t need him to win a lot of regular season games. They have that LeBron James guy for that, and I hear he is pretty good.

Oden and the Heat are willing to be patient.

“I know it’s going to be a long process,” he said. “Just getting back on the court, when I step on the court, if I play five minutes, and I step off the court and I’m healthy, and I’m able to play the next game, that’s what I’m worried about. For me, that would be the biggest smile on my face, being able to play in games.”

What matters to Miami is how this gamble pays off in April and May, when they will need size to combat Chicago and Indiana in the playoffs. Count me among the many people around the league hoping Oden bounces back and can play this season, gaining some measure of redemption for a career lost when his body betrayed him.

If Oden is playing in those postseason game, he should send that doctor a pair of tickets to come watch him play.

1. skinsfanwill - Aug 12, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Just because they are doctors doesn’t mean they are always correct. See Grant Hill foot surgeries.

• genericcommenter - Aug 12, 2013 at 4:49 PM

And when Oden plays again, it doesn’t make the doctor “incorrect.” He could have taken his $23 million in earnings at age 24 and gone and been a “regular person,” without worrying about rehabbing and his body betraying him again. He has the free will to reject that advice and pursue his interests.

• mickdamill - Aug 12, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Yes, Grant Hill is built just like Oden.

• cantonbound13 - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:50 AM

Grant Hill is a hard working, professional. Oden is an immature waste of talent that is too concerned with partying & texting naked pictures of himself.

• leahcima1 - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Hey cantonjerk you’re a fountain of NBA information. A piece of stinking s–t but what a fountain of info.

• cantonbound13 - Aug 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Ok flavor of love reject

• akronhatesyoulechoke - Aug 14, 2013 at 5:24 AM

“Flavor of love” reject, that’s the funniest comeback ever!

2. losanginsight - Aug 12, 2013 at 2:06 PM

This sounds encouraging just like Brandon Roy’s comeback. The heat don’t have a chance with or without lebrons dad.

3. 12444uggg - Aug 12, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I think I know how this story ends.

4. sellahh - Aug 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I hate Miami. I despise them so bad I rejoice everytime a Heatle misses a shot. But i don’t wanna see yet another grimace on this man’s face. I wish he could just listen to his doctors…

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Aug 12, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Ray Allen… Three!…..GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!

fun wasn’t it?

• cantonbound13 - Aug 13, 2013 at 5:51 AM

He travelled. Hahaha!

• leahcima1 - Aug 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Hey boys he traveled but who are the NBA champs. I’ll give you a hint. It ain’t the Knicks. :)

• muhangis - Aug 14, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Basketball is his life’s passion and greater purpose, why is he wrong to pursue that. The greater grimace on his face I’m sure is he sitting on his couch watching other’s in the NBA live out their dreams while he can’t. There are no rewards without sacrifice…. EVER!

And too many doctors out there too often are just flat out wrong.

5. senorpapino - Aug 12, 2013 at 2:36 PM

It will be shocking if this guy makes any significant contribution to Miami this year.

6. antistratfordian - Aug 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM

The headline is misleading. The doctor did not recommend or order him to quit basketball. He said if he didn’t want to worry about rehab then he could just be a regular person. But #1 picks don’t want to be regular people.

7. dolphindubs - Aug 12, 2013 at 2:59 PM

In my best Robert Downey Jr as Kirk Lazarus as Sgt. Osiris voice: “SURVIVE!”

8. terrykane22buckize22 - Aug 12, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Break a leg, Greg! Really.

9. nflcrimerankingscom - Aug 12, 2013 at 3:47 PM

To be fair, most doctors would tell a 44 year old it’s time to retire.

10. jcmeyer10 - Aug 12, 2013 at 5:36 PM

The doctor thought Greg was talking about getting back into Rec League basketball to boot!

11. haroldkelly564 - Aug 12, 2013 at 8:15 PM

He’s doing what comes natural, trying to play ball!

12. jimmymarlinsfan - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Lets go Heat!

• akronhatesyoulechoke - Aug 14, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Overrated

13. mungman69 - Aug 12, 2013 at 10:32 PM

This may be tuff to watch.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches