Mike Bibby wants to play one more NBA season, then coach

Aug 12, 2013, 10:09 AM EDT

New York Knicks v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Mike Bibby was not in the NBA last season. He had played the season before with the New York Knicks and was unimpressive — 2.9 points a game in the 39 games he got in, with a PER of 7.8. After that he couldn’t land a contract.

But he wants to play one more NBA season, he told the official Kings Blog (owned by the team), after that he plans to coach.

“I’m going to try to play another year. We’ll see what happens. I’ve been working hard all summer, and we’ll see if somebody picks me up…

“(After playing) I might coach. I’ve been coaching my son’s team for six years now, so hopefully that turns out well.”

He might be coaching sooner than planned.

Bibby had a nice 14-year NBA career, and he was on some very good Sacramento Kings teams (that could have, maybe should have toppled the Shaq/Kobe Lakers). But his play his final couple years in Atlanta then with the Knicks is not likely to land him a new contract. Hope he has some success with his second career.

You should read the entire Q&A with Bibby, who said Stephon Marbury was the hardest guy he had to cover.

1. dysraw1 - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM

no disrespect Mike i remember the baller you was with the Kings, but i think you should be checking for a bench position now.

2. miamatt - Aug 12, 2013 at 11:13 AM

He was pretty much done three seasons ago when he was picked up midseason by the Heat.

3. 00maltliquor - Aug 12, 2013 at 12:26 PM

That’s nice Mike. And I would love to win the Powerball and never have to work again.

4. blantoncollier - Aug 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Hope his coaching career is better than his dad’s!

5. jabronikid - Aug 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Why not follow Marbury in China so you can get revenge…

6. jimsjam33 - Aug 21, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I would like to be 16 again and play golf in college . Guess what ? It ain’t gonna happen .

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures