Aug 12, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
The Tiimberwolves remain at a standstill in terms of contract talks with restricted free agent Nikola Pekovic, but the team remains committed to the belief that they will be able to re-sign him at some point before next season.
When we last checked in on the situation, the two sides seemed fairly far apart, with Pekovic’s camp wanting up to five years at $15 million per, while the Timberwolves were thinking in more of the $12 million per year range, and possibly for only four seasons.
Pekovic’s restricted status, along with the fact that he’s struggled with a history of injury lead us to believe that Minnesota has every right to be confident that they’ll close the deal eventually. As far as when that might happen, Timberwolves president Flip Saunders doesn’t seem to be in any rush.
Flip remains confidnet Pek deal will get down. Asked for a deadline, he said, “Training camp.”
— Jerry Zgoda (@JerryZgoda) August 12, 2013
That might have been a bit of a flippant response from Saunders there (no pun intended), meaning that there is no hard and fast deadline as long as Pekovic is in a Timberwolves uniform by the start of next season.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 4
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 8
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 10
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 26
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10