Aug 12, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
The Tiimberwolves remain at a standstill in terms of contract talks with restricted free agent Nikola Pekovic, but the team remains committed to the belief that they will be able to re-sign him at some point before next season.
When we last checked in on the situation, the two sides seemed fairly far apart, with Pekovic’s camp wanting up to five years at $15 million per, while the Timberwolves were thinking in more of the $12 million per year range, and possibly for only four seasons.
Pekovic’s restricted status, along with the fact that he’s struggled with a history of injury lead us to believe that Minnesota has every right to be confident that they’ll close the deal eventually. As far as when that might happen, Timberwolves president Flip Saunders doesn’t seem to be in any rush.
Flip remains confidnet Pek deal will get down. Asked for a deadline, he said, “Training camp.”
— Jerry Zgoda (@JerryZgoda) August 12, 2013
That might have been a bit of a flippant response from Saunders there (no pun intended), meaning that there is no hard and fast deadline as long as Pekovic is in a Timberwolves uniform by the start of next season.
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 2
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 1
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 13
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 12
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 48
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12