Flip Saunders says if T’Wolves send Shabazz Muhammad to D-League, it wouldn’t be meant as a punishment
Aug 12, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Speaking in a radio interview on Friday, Saunders said that Muhammad would either “learn the rules and learn to abide by things with the big boys or he’s gonna really quick learn a geography class: where Des Moines is in the NBDL down in Iowa.”
That sure sounds like a D-League assignment would be used to punish Muhammad in this case, and that’s not how teams should be using the developmental league, for a variety of reasons.
The D-League has made progress in recent seasons, and is getting to the point where the majority of NBA teams value it as a legitimate place to develop young talent, or to find a player to add to the roster as a mid-season injury replacement. There should be no negative connotation associated with sending players to develop there, and Saunders wanted to make it clear that it was not his intention when discussing Muhammad’s situation last week.
On Friday, Saunders in his weekly KFAN radio appearance said Muhammad will receive a fast geography lesson about where Des Moines, Iowa, is if he doesn’t abide by the rules. The Wolves’ D League team is in Des Moines.
“That wasn’t a threat,” said Saunders, who coached in the minor league Continental Basketball Association once upon a time. “That was just saying I’m a CBA guy, I believe in the minor league system and I believe players are down there because they lack the skill to play at our level, don’t have the confidence or don’t have the mental frame. If you don’t have any of those three, then that’s where you go to develop to be successful in our league.”
Saunders also said that the team would not impose any punishment on Muhammad, and that it was a league issue.
Muhammad may in fact spend time in the D-League if the Timberwolves believe he needs to develop, either physically or mentally. Credit Saunders for clarifying that if it does end up happening, it wouldn’t be to discipline his rookie player for a mistake that was made.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 21
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 11
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 3
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 21
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (42)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)