Aug 11, 2013, 9:38 PM EST
The Pistons have just two players who fit well at center, Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe – both of whom project to start for Detroit. If either of those two gets hurt or into foul trouble, the Pistons would be in a bind. So, it’s likely they’ll use their final open roster spot on a big man.
Jason Collins is available, and it was reported yesterday the Pistons were interested. He has the size to fill the role Detroit needs someone to handle, so the addition would make sense.
But no so fast.
But two sources with knowledge of the Pistons’ plans told The News that Collins is not being seriously considered.
The Pistons are looking at several potential bigs to back up Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond, and they prefer one younger than Collins, 34, who is near the end of his career.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
There are several available big men who the Pistons could sign. I don’t doubt the veracity of the initial report, but I wonder how many players it could have been written about.
I bet the Pistons have discussed their vacancy with several big men. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if they invited multiple bigs to training camp and kept one after they competed for the job.
Maybe that includes Collins. Maybe not.
I don’t know who leaked the information for the initial report, but both Collins and the Pistons benefit. Collins, the first active gay player in North American team sports, gets to indicate he’s NBA worthy. The Pistons get a publicity boost for being associated with Collins, who’s now the most well-known potential third-string big man in the league.
But the Pistons still need to add a big man, and Collins still needs to find a job.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)