Greg Oden on joining the Heat: ‘If LeBron gets another ring, I get one too’

Aug 10, 2013, 3:30 PM EST

oden heat

Greg Oden had plenty of options in terms of where he could choose to begin his NBA comeback next season.

There were five teams that came away impressed after attending his private workout, and a sixth was reported to have interest, as well.

Oden ultimately decided on the Miami Heat, and the team’s status as championship certified certainly didn’t hurt in the recruiting process. In fact, it may have been one of the key selling points.

From Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel:

“As I told my friends, actually, as they told me, ‘If you take out the possibility of getting hurt again, what other choice is there?’ ” Oden said. “For me, other teams, it was good. But if I take out the possibility of getting hurt, why would I not play with the champs? And, as [friends] told me yesterday, ‘If LeBron decides to get another ring, I get one, too, now.”

And it’ll be well-deserved, I’m sure.

All kidding aside, the reality is that there are a ton of guys with championship rings who did nothing more than act as an extra body in practice, or were simply inactive during the games that mattered while wearing a suit and sitting at the end of the bench.

Juwan Howard is an example from the Heat last season — he played just seven games total in March and April, and didn’t appear in the postseason even once.

Oden’s comments will likely rub people the wrong way, however, because he’s talking about getting a ring before we even know if he’ll be able to contribute at all next season in Miami, let alone in the playoffs or the Finals.

The good news for Oden is that the Heat seemed to add him to the roster for one reason only, and that’s to have another big body to throw at Roy Hibbert in the event they face the Pacers once again on the potential road to a third straight title. The Heat don’t truly need Oden until May, so he has all season and then some to continue work his way back into NBA condition.

But most people would like players to talk about how they are going to help a team before they talk about riding a star’s coattails to get a ring that wasn’t earned, and comments like these aren’t likely going to endear him to fans who otherwise might have rooted for him to successfully return to the court next season.

1. elwaysagenius - Aug 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Don’t kid yourself Brett, the heat don’t have any fans to turn against him

2. kingwithringz - Aug 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM

So proud of GO. Everything happens 4 a reason.

3. dls612 - Aug 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Damn! That uniform fits him!!!

4. sepl12 - Aug 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I strongly disagree with this guy’s opinion. I find it more endearing that he has the humility to understand he’s not the guy anymore. if you’re going to get hurt and not play, you might as well win a championship while not playing.

5. ninthwardfriend - Aug 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Look’s like Lebron’s big brother.

6. football58 - Aug 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Championship rings- Adam Morrision 2, Lebron James 2. Nuff said!

• asimonetti88 - Aug 10, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Psh. Ammo has never lost a playoff series. Talk about legendary.

• adamsjohn714 - Aug 10, 2013 at 5:46 PM

hahaha thats an awesome knickname

• redbaronx - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:51 PM

@football58 – ….and? So? Robert Horry has 7. Do you want to say Robert Horry is a better player then LeBron?

Think before you write next time football58.

• cantonbound13 - Aug 11, 2013 at 7:19 AM

He has hit more clutch shots in big games.

• redbaronx - Aug 12, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Please! If LeBron leaves the Heat, the Heat don’t make the Finals. Horry hitting clutch shots doesn’t mean you should be comparing him to LeBron!

• football58 - Aug 14, 2013 at 10:15 PM

It’s called sarcasm idiot. Don’t take yourself so seriously.

• redbaronx - Aug 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Uh…when you’re using sarcasm, make sure other people besides yourself know its sarcasm….don’t be an idiot yourself!

• football58 - Aug 21, 2013 at 7:39 PM

If you don’t understand when a comment is sarcastic due to lack of intelligence, then I can’t help you there.

• redbaronx - Aug 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Intelligence has nothing to do with writing skills, but evidently you lack both and I can’t help YOU there.

• football58 - Aug 23, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Where in my writing skills am I lacking if your are just a dumb_$$ and can’t comprehend basic english?

• redbaronx - Aug 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I can’t help you with your writing skills. The point of writing any article or post is so that the reader understands what you are trying to convey. If you write something that is succinct and without sarcasm, and then expect someone else to “understand” that you’re being sarcastic, then you have a writing problem.

As you can see, I understand “basic English” (you need to use a capital “E” when writing “English” by the way…) very well. So without calling you names, I suggest you blame your own poor writing skills for the misunderstanding, and learn from it.

• redbaronx - Aug 26, 2013 at 1:11 PM

@football58 – Also, I would note that your comment got a negative rating by other people, and mine got a positive by 4 people to 1 ratio. That means that other people didn’t understand your so called sarcasm either, and took it for a straight up comment.

So again, don’t blame other people for your inability to write a comment and convey sarcasm if you don’t know how to do it in the first place!

• football58 - Sep 1, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Well it’s not my fault there are a lot of dump people on this planet, you just happen to be one of them. I don’t really care what other people think as I am not on here to impress internet trolls like yourself. Have a good one.

• redbaronx - Sep 2, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Well, once an idiot you’ll remain an idiot. As Judge Judy says, “Beauty fades, dumb is forever”. Saying people are dumb proves you are stupid. It’s not a coincidence people think your comments are dumb. I tried to help you comprehend, but your brain doesn’t have the capacity evidently. Idiot people don’t care what other people think about them because they’re proven dumb on a regular basis.

Welcome to the rest of your life…..

• redbaronx - Sep 2, 2013 at 9:17 PM

@football58 – Oh and by the way, in BBall 48 to 11 would be a blowout. That means a lot of people think YOU are stupid! Tired of being nice. You’re simply a MORON!

• football58 - Sep 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM

No you are the moron. It is unbelievable that you care so much about my opinion. Get a job troll and get our of your mom’s basement. Something should come up with your GED.

• redbaronx - Sep 14, 2013 at 11:56 AM

P.S. BTW, putting idiots like you in their place is fun! Obviously other people think you’re an idiot too by the typically thumbs down you get from people on your idiotic comments. GET A CLUE!!!!!

7. deadbartender - Aug 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Can you say leach? What happened to self sufficient people in this world?

8. ringjames - Aug 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM

When did Oden say he’ll be winning a ring? he said HIS FRIENDS told him “if LeBron decides to get another ring, you get one, too”

don’t switch his words up to make people hate him.

9. deavn - Aug 10, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I don’t see the big deal. I would have said the same thing if I was him. Who wouldn’t wanna play with Lebron in Miami? Good weather, winning team, pretty girls. What else could you ask for?

• anelegantman - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Well I like the NBA like it use to be ole school players were loyal and stayed with their teams [not talking about Greg] and not like todays players acting like ambulance chasers to get a ring

10. dirtydavis - Aug 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM

LBJ will sign with the lakers

• currter - Aug 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM

when I saw LBJ, I was thinking President Lyndon Baines Johnson.
      oh well…

• pantsfreezone - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Why? To play with the corpse of Kobe? To be criticized by the fans and media because he can’t carry Jodie Meeks and Ron Artest to the Finals?

Nah, the more I think about it, the more I believe LeBron is going to re-up with the Heat and start recruiting guys to run with him.

• jamieaadams - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Stay out of Vegas.

• redbaronx - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM

@dirtydavis – LBJ will sign with the Lakers when pigs fly.

11. decimusprime - Aug 10, 2013 at 6:09 PM

This kid deserves a ring as a consolation prize. He was dominant in college, like on another level. Drafted first overall. His body robbed him of continuing to play at that level or he would be a max deal guy. Its sad what happened, but awesome what’s happening now. Go get em big fella!

12. program33 - Aug 10, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I believe the best pick for Miami was Jason Collins. He is a healthy/durable 34 year old 7 footer which is just what the doctor ordered and can easily fill the role that Greg O will be asked to fill “and” for more games. That being said, I do wish Greg well. It now looks like Detroit has an interest.

• redbaronx - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:47 PM

@program33 – What have you been smoking? The idea is for Miami to get BETTER. Not tread water. They can let Oden use the whole season to get healthy, and if he is healthy, that gives Miami at least another big on D. If Oden can actually come back with something resembling half of his former self, then this is a major upgrade.

Jason Collins is, at best, a serviceable body. At 34, 7 footers don’t tend to last. Bad move.

• antistratfordian - Aug 11, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Jason Collins has been putting up single digit PERs the last few years — not good. Oden’s PER potential is 20+ which is excellent.

13. rickrr67 - Aug 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I am from Indiana and am a Pacers fan and anyone playing the Heat. I wish Bird would’ve picked him up to come off the bench for Roy.

Greg is a great person and I will be watching him this year and wish him nothing but the best.

As far as the statement goes, it was not made by Greg but by a friend of his as he stated.

14. redbullenergydrink - Aug 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Someone else wants a free ride to a championship?! Big surprise!

CAN’T wait for next season!

15. program33 - Aug 11, 2013 at 2:03 AM

@redbaronx and @antistratfordian You both are correct. But here’s my point. A healthy Greg O. can ball. My biggest hope/concern is that Greg Oden doesn’t actually turn out and be like Juan Howard. A lot of DNP’s. And that does not help the mission. All I am saying is that Miami needs a big “on the floor” not just on the roster. Period. Despite his age, Greg O. has said numerous times that his body is still not ready. Meaning he is entering the season fragile/ injured via numerous knee surgeries. He is a big in the NBA which means he will get pounded. Translation: he will probably never be “totally ready” this year. So what does that mean. Expect limited minutes and a few DNP’s. The question then becomes when will those DNP’s occur? And the game plan then becomes monitor minutes (babysit) until the playoffs. All of this can be avoided by simply picking up healthy bigs (i.e. Jason Collins) to basically rebound and play defense against teams that have bigs that overpower Bosh. The Heat needs “healthy” big bodies in the paint. Greg O. does not supply that. We are all hoping from game to game. Is a healthy Greg O. better than Jason Collins? Yes. But would you rather have Jason Collins on the floor in the playoffs or Greg O on the bench in the playoffs? Am I a really big fan of Jason Collins not really. I just would like to see a healthy big on the floor for the Miami Heat come playoff time. Bosh is too small in my opinion and not a natural 5.

16. thenew013 - Aug 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM

james, wade, bosh and the bottom feeders.

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches