Thaddeus Young trying to take on leadership role with Sixers

Aug 9, 2013, 12:14 PM EDT

Thaddeus Young AP

This coming season will be Thaddeus Young’s seventh in Philadelphia. It will be his fifth coach in that time… once the Sixers get around to picking a coach.

That’s not exactly consistency of leadership. New GM Sam Hinkie will certainly want to address that leadership issue, but in the short term Young wants to take on more of the veteran leader role on what will be a young team, he told Dei Lynam of CSNPhilly.com.

That is going to start with helping rookie and likely starting point guard Michael Carter-Williams.

“The first text message I sent to MCW was ‘The ball is going to be in your hands with you being the point guard and floor general. You are going to take the blame for a lot of stuff. I am going to try and help you. I’ll say it was my fault because that is what veterans do.’

“They try and keep the young guys’ bad thoughts out of their head. You say it was my fault and then go to them and say, ‘Try and do it this way and that will be the right way.’ I am going to try and help him as much as possible.”

At least he will provide leadership as long as he is on the roster.

With the way Philly is shaking this up — going for high draft picks and cap space — Young and his three years, $27.5 million could be on the trade block. Teams around the league know he can play — 14.8 points and 7.5 rebounds a game last season — so there might well be interest.

“Anybody can be traded in the NBA,” Young said. “Any given day, someone can get traded and have to move to the next city. This is the NBA. It is the life we live in and the job we chose. I don’t have any worries about getting traded. If I get traded, it was a business decision, a move that had to be made. If I am not, then you know what you are going to get out of me. I am going to be here each and every day, 24/7, ready to go hard for my team.”

It’s going to be a tough year in Philadelphia. It’s going to be a tough sell to fans (even with the great draft next year) and it’s going to be hard in the locker room. A steady veteran voice like Young’s certainly would help mitigate that some.

So would a strong coach. Which they may eventually have.

1. motobus - Aug 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I don’t think it’s a hard sell to fans. As a Sixers fan, I’m really excited for the moves they made, and I have come across too many people who don’t share the same mentality.

Getting them to come out to the games, however, will be difficult. Especially after getting rid of a very fan friendly CEO. I can’t recall his name of the top of my head, but he was constantly giving away tickets/merch last year on twitter, and seemed to garner a lot of appreciation and excitement.

2. motobus - Aug 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Sorry: haven’t come across*

3. mp4philly - Aug 9, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Maybe Thad can coach the team too.

• jblah - Aug 9, 2013 at 3:13 PM

at this point thad might as well coach them. don’t think its going to matter who coaches the team this year.

4. phillyreese215 - Aug 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Brett Brown is the coach, get on it PBT!

5. whealy86 - Aug 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Its not like anyone went to the games last year. Didnt they actually have a story on yahoo last year that the tickets were less then a. $1.00 last year. I don’t think it gets much worse then that.

6. tcclark - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Too much coddling of young players in the NBA. They need to grow up. What happened to the coaching style where you constantly tell them they suck so they are always trying to get better and prove themselves? No one ever coddled Michael Jordan. They could try but his game was never good enough for him. We don’t have players like that anymore in the NBA. You can’t hurt anyone’s feelings, Royce White can’t fly on an airplane, Mario Chalmers thinks he’s a top 5 point guard. They aren’t as mentally tough as they used to be.

How has sale of Hawks made other NBA owners nervous?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches