Robert Parish says Paul Pierce on Nets is “awkward”

Aug 9, 2013, 10:51 AM EDT

robert-parish Getty Images

Even for non-Celtics fans it’s going to take a little getting used to — Paul Pierce in the black and white of the Brooklyn Nets. It’s going to be really strange for PP himself.

Celtics legendary big man Robert Parish — who ended his career with two seasons in Charlotte and one in Chicago — had some advice for Pierce while, speaking with Sean Deveney of the Sporting News.

“Just accept the fact that it is going to be awkward initially. That’s all. Because he has worn the Celtics green for so long and it is going to be really awkward for him. But it was time for a change and what I do like about what the Celtics did for Pierce and Garnett, they didn’t send them somewhere to another situation that is not going to be successful. They sent them someplace where they are going to win. Garnett and Pierce have earned that right.”

Like we said, Parish spent the final years of his career in a city other than Boston, first in Charlotte where he backed up Alonzo Mouring (who was at the peak of his powers then in 1995). But Parish said it never felt right.

“Un-com-fortable,” Parish said (of wearing the Charlotte uniform). “In my mind, I would always be a Celtic. I was very thankful and humbled that the Hornets saw fit to allow me to play a couple more years, but the only time I thought of myself as a Charlotte Hornet was game time. Other than that, when the jersey came off, I still felt like I was a Celtic.”

In the case of Pierce and Garnett, this will only be for a season or three, not long.

But it’s still going to take some getting used to.

1. asimonetti88 - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Parish spent four years with the Warriors too! I agree that it will be different seeing Pierce on the Nets but Parish played for enough other teams that it seems weird coming from him.

• iritian - Aug 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM

But he spent 14 with Boston.

2. jcmeyer10 - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Yah, it will be weird but I will be there on January 26th to welcome him back and let him know, this move made sense for everyone.

No matter the jerseys he wears before he retires, he will always be a Celtic.

3. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 9, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Don’t worry, Parish, I never thought of you as a Hornet either. More like a Hornets cheerleader.

4. ohioteamsusuallysuck - Aug 9, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Stick to the peace pipe chief. You played on 4 teams. This guy is so overrated.

5. andyhr17 - Aug 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM

#7 all time at rebound. #24 all time at points. Yeah, overrated. You’re a complete idiot.

6. sportsnut101 - Aug 10, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Was awkward seeing u collect a ring playing for the bulls. So maybe u should give it back right
    All these old timers please shut the hellllllllll up as y2j would say from wwe

It happens it’s a business I don’t think pierce is going to retire just to make u happy chief

7. southpaw77 - Aug 13, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Seeing “Chief” in the teal of the Charlotte Hornets was weird also.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches