Aug 9, 2013, 10:51 AM EDT
Even for non-Celtics fans it’s going to take a little getting used to — Paul Pierce in the black and white of the Brooklyn Nets. It’s going to be really strange for PP himself.
Celtics legendary big man Robert Parish — who ended his career with two seasons in Charlotte and one in Chicago — had some advice for Pierce while, speaking with Sean Deveney of the Sporting News.
“Just accept the fact that it is going to be awkward initially. That’s all. Because he has worn the Celtics green for so long and it is going to be really awkward for him. But it was time for a change and what I do like about what the Celtics did for Pierce and Garnett, they didn’t send them somewhere to another situation that is not going to be successful. They sent them someplace where they are going to win. Garnett and Pierce have earned that right.”
Like we said, Parish spent the final years of his career in a city other than Boston, first in Charlotte where he backed up Alonzo Mouring (who was at the peak of his powers then in 1995). But Parish said it never felt right.
“Un-com-fortable,” Parish said (of wearing the Charlotte uniform). “In my mind, I would always be a Celtic. I was very thankful and humbled that the Hornets saw fit to allow me to play a couple more years, but the only time I thought of myself as a Charlotte Hornet was game time. Other than that, when the jersey came off, I still felt like I was a Celtic.”
In the case of Pierce and Garnett, this will only be for a season or three, not long.
But it’s still going to take some getting used to.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 25
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 16
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15