Aug 9, 2013, 1:58 PM EDT
We’re all well aware of how emotional it will be for the fans in Boston and the players alike when Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett play their first game against the Celtics as members of the Brooklyn Nets.
They could get it over with fairly quickly, as the Nets are slated to play in Boston as part of their preseason schedule on October 23rd.
But Pierce, speaking at a promotional event in Manhattan on Thursday, said he only wishes to return to Boston once next season.
Pierce wishes his Jan. 26 return to Boston were sooner in the regular season.
“You just want to get it out of the way. When you gotta go through something tough, I’ve always been a guy that just wants to get it out of the way. It’s gonna be in the back of my mind,” Pierce said.
Pierce added that he does not plan to go to Boston for the preseason meeting there against the Celtics.
“I’ll do it just one time next year,” he said.
It will definitely be a much bigger deal during the regular season, with the fans and the organization getting to pay tribute while attending a game that counts.
It’ll also probably be a bit easier emotionally on Pierce this way. By waiting until January to get acclimated to his new surroundings, he’ll have more time come to grips with his new and potentially awkward situation.
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 0
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 9
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 55
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17