Aug 9, 2013, 1:58 PM EDT
We’re all well aware of how emotional it will be for the fans in Boston and the players alike when Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett play their first game against the Celtics as members of the Brooklyn Nets.
They could get it over with fairly quickly, as the Nets are slated to play in Boston as part of their preseason schedule on October 23rd.
But Pierce, speaking at a promotional event in Manhattan on Thursday, said he only wishes to return to Boston once next season.
Pierce wishes his Jan. 26 return to Boston were sooner in the regular season.
“You just want to get it out of the way. When you gotta go through something tough, I’ve always been a guy that just wants to get it out of the way. It’s gonna be in the back of my mind,” Pierce said.
Pierce added that he does not plan to go to Boston for the preseason meeting there against the Celtics.
“I’ll do it just one time next year,” he said.
It will definitely be a much bigger deal during the regular season, with the fans and the organization getting to pay tribute while attending a game that counts.
It’ll also probably be a bit easier emotionally on Pierce this way. By waiting until January to get acclimated to his new surroundings, he’ll have more time come to grips with his new and potentially awkward situation.
- Tony ‘First Team All-Defense’ Allen and Mike ‘Masked Assassin’ Conley lead Grizzlies to Game 2 win over Warriors 13
- Hawks unimpressive, but pull away late for Game 2 win over Wizards 6
- Mike Conley playing Game 2 against Warriors tonight 0
- John Wall out for Wizards-Hawks Game 2 tonight 3
- PBT Extra: Will Doc Rivers sit Chris Paul in Game 2? 0
- Tony Allen on MVP Stephen Curry: “It ain’t nothing I ain’t never seen before” 23
- PBT Extra: Grizzlies searching for answers, Mike Conley in Game 2 3
- PBT Extra: Hawks need to lean on starters more, hit open looks in Game 2 0