Aug 9, 2013, 1:58 PM EDT
We’re all well aware of how emotional it will be for the fans in Boston and the players alike when Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett play their first game against the Celtics as members of the Brooklyn Nets.
They could get it over with fairly quickly, as the Nets are slated to play in Boston as part of their preseason schedule on October 23rd.
But Pierce, speaking at a promotional event in Manhattan on Thursday, said he only wishes to return to Boston once next season.
Pierce wishes his Jan. 26 return to Boston were sooner in the regular season.
“You just want to get it out of the way. When you gotta go through something tough, I’ve always been a guy that just wants to get it out of the way. It’s gonna be in the back of my mind,” Pierce said.
Pierce added that he does not plan to go to Boston for the preseason meeting there against the Celtics.
“I’ll do it just one time next year,” he said.
It will definitely be a much bigger deal during the regular season, with the fans and the organization getting to pay tribute while attending a game that counts.
It’ll also probably be a bit easier emotionally on Pierce this way. By waiting until January to get acclimated to his new surroundings, he’ll have more time come to grips with his new and potentially awkward situation.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10