Aug 9, 2013, 2:37 PM EST
Plenty of players participate in Pro-Am leagues during the summer, and it’s usually not necessarily newsworthy unless you happen to live in the community where the games are taking place.
Durant and Green began their NBA careers with the Supersonics, each playing their rookie years in Seattle before the team was moved to Oklahoma City following the 2007-08 season.
They’re slated to return this weekend to play in a league hosted by Jamal Crawford.
The Oklahoma City Thunder superstar and Jeff Green, who starred with Durant during their one season in Seattle, are expected to be the headliners this weekend at the Jamal Crawford Summer Pro-Am.
For a league that bills itself as “All Hoop, No Hype,” promoting the return of the former Sonics goes against the pro-am’s mantra. There’s also no guarantee Durant or Green will show up.
“I’m usually hesitant about making these kinds of announcements until I see guys actually walk into the gym, but Jamal tells me this is a done deal,” said tournament director Rashaad Powell. “The flights are booked. The hotel reservations are set.
“Now we’re just waiting for the show. And it should be a great show.”
It’s true that these types of leagues (like the Drew in Los Angeles) rarely make announcements as to which players will attend, because last-minute things can come up that can force a player to back out of these somewhat unofficial commitments.
But it appears as though Durant and Green will be playing in front of the fans in Seattle in the coming days.
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 3
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 3
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 17
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)