Aug 9, 2013, 11:52 AM EDT
What makes the 1980s my favorite NBA era to watch replays of is simple: The two best players in the game were amazing passers.
People remember Magic Johnson’s assists, but they sleep on Larry Bird, who also had this amazing court sense and ability to find the open man. In case you forgot, here is eight minutes of Larry Bird making great passes.
Combine this passing with a faster tempo and what you get is ball movement and player movement off the ball that is very difficult to defend. Too many NBA coaches want to slow things down now and micromanage the game today, but if you have players you can trust they can create beautiful basketball.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 33
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 8
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23