Aug 9, 2013, 11:52 AM EST
What makes the 1980s my favorite NBA era to watch replays of is simple: The two best players in the game were amazing passers.
People remember Magic Johnson’s assists, but they sleep on Larry Bird, who also had this amazing court sense and ability to find the open man. In case you forgot, here is eight minutes of Larry Bird making great passes.
Combine this passing with a faster tempo and what you get is ball movement and player movement off the ball that is very difficult to defend. Too many NBA coaches want to slow things down now and micromanage the game today, but if you have players you can trust they can create beautiful basketball.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 10
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 9
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 50
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7