Aug 9, 2013, 2:38 PM EDT
Portland has a LaMarcus Aldridge issue to deal with — there are reports he is unhappy and his people have come to the Blazers proposing trades. Aldridge has denied all of this. Of course, if you’re an unhappy player it is best to have your agent and others do this kind of legwork while you deny it and remain above the fray.
Or, maybe none of that is true. Maybe he is happy in Portland.
That is what Portland GM Neil Olshey is selling — Aldridge is happy with the Trail Blazers, the Trail Blazers are happy with him and these trade rumors only come from bored media members.
Here is what Olshey told Craig Birnbach of KATU about these trade rumors, as transcribed at Blazers Edge.
“I think it comes from all you [media] — everybody fighting to be first with inaccurate information. I can tell you, LaMarcus Aldridge, you guys have known him longer than I have. And if he had asked to be traded, he would have told people that he asked to be traded. He never asked to be traded….
“I think last year was a tough year for everybody. Portland is not a market that accepts losing. We’d tried not to rebuild but we always tried to be somewhat judicious in terms of how much future flexibility we gave away. To be honest with you, that’s the results of this offseason. Had we done more minor moves and put more assets in play, moved more draft picks, there wouldn’t have been a [Thomas] Robinson or a Robin Lopez. If we had given long-term deals to guys we weren’t totally sure on, there wouldn’t have been a Mo Williams today.”
Aldridge has two years left on his deal.
The Blazers had a fantastic offseason — they needed depth and added Lopez to play the five, allowing Aldridge to play his more natural four, plus guys like Thomas Robinson, Dorell Wright and C.J. McCollum will add punch off the bench. The Blazers are going to be in the playoff mix out West (which is a crowded mix in a deep conference).
Even if Aldridge is frustrated and is considering leaving, Olshey is right to play it slow here — there are not a lot of All-Star forwards with diverse games like Aldridge around. See if you can convince him that he can win and make a name for himself there. If you have to move him, you have time.
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 0
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 2
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 31
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 39