Aug 8, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
Paul Pierce will always love Boston, he’s admitted being traded out of there this summer has been hard on him. His number will eventually go into the rafters and generations of Celtics fans will tell their kids about “The Truth.”
That didn’t mean he wanted to stay through a rebuild.
Now Pierce and Kevin Garnett are in Brooklyn, while Doc Rivers is on the other coast with the Clippers.
There have been some Celtics fans — some prominent, some not — spinning this as Doc Rivers quit on the Celtics. Pierce said he and Rivers were in the same boar — this was a mutual split. Here is what Pierce told SLAM Magazine in a Q&A.
Well, I know the insides with everything that’s going on. A lot of stuff got blown out of proportion because of the media, but Doc has always said he didn’t want to be a part of a rebuilding situation. I’ve always stated that the past four or five years. After the season, the owners decided they wanted to go in that direction. It made Doc look like he was quitting but at the same time it was mutual—everything was mutual at the end. The trade, Doc leaving. I didn’t want to be a part of rebuilding; Kevin didn’t want to be a part of rebuilding; Doc didn’t want to be part of rebuilding. I think it was all mutual. We’ve done so much for the franchise that they wanted to help on our end. So Doc went to L.A., and they sent us to Brooklyn for a chance to win a Championship. That’s pretty much the way it was. Nothing more, nothing less.
Sometimes things just end. If we’re emotionally invested we want to assign blame when there really doesn’t need to be blame. We just don’t accept change well sometimes.
Sometimes it’s time to move on, that shouldn’t diminish the good times.
- LeBron returns to Cleveland a more efficient, mature player that can take team further 0
- Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker shine in head-to-head Summer League matchup 13
- Posnanski: LeBron James proves he’s a true Clevelander 48
- Report: Isaiah Thomas headed to Phoenix Suns in a sign-and-trade 38
- Report: Chris Bosh re-signing with Heat over joining Rockets 81
- Report: Heat offer Chris Bosh full max contract to keep him from Rockets 26
- PBT Extra: LeBron James returns to Cleveland to try and cement legacy 18
- Deal set: Lakers trade for Jeremy Lin, which for L.A. is largely about draft pick (as is Gasol for Boozer idea) 36