Aug 8, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
Paul Pierce will always love Boston, he’s admitted being traded out of there this summer has been hard on him. His number will eventually go into the rafters and generations of Celtics fans will tell their kids about “The Truth.”
That didn’t mean he wanted to stay through a rebuild.
Now Pierce and Kevin Garnett are in Brooklyn, while Doc Rivers is on the other coast with the Clippers.
There have been some Celtics fans — some prominent, some not — spinning this as Doc Rivers quit on the Celtics. Pierce said he and Rivers were in the same boar — this was a mutual split. Here is what Pierce told SLAM Magazine in a Q&A.
Well, I know the insides with everything that’s going on. A lot of stuff got blown out of proportion because of the media, but Doc has always said he didn’t want to be a part of a rebuilding situation. I’ve always stated that the past four or five years. After the season, the owners decided they wanted to go in that direction. It made Doc look like he was quitting but at the same time it was mutual—everything was mutual at the end. The trade, Doc leaving. I didn’t want to be a part of rebuilding; Kevin didn’t want to be a part of rebuilding; Doc didn’t want to be part of rebuilding. I think it was all mutual. We’ve done so much for the franchise that they wanted to help on our end. So Doc went to L.A., and they sent us to Brooklyn for a chance to win a Championship. That’s pretty much the way it was. Nothing more, nothing less.
Sometimes things just end. If we’re emotionally invested we want to assign blame when there really doesn’t need to be blame. We just don’t accept change well sometimes.
Sometimes it’s time to move on, that shouldn’t diminish the good times.
- Hawks unimpressive, but pull away late for Game 2 win over Wizards 0
- Mike Conley playing Game 2 against Warriors tonight 0
- John Wall out for Wizards-Hawks Game 2 tonight 3
- PBT Extra: Will Doc Rivers sit Chris Paul in Game 2? 0
- Tony Allen on MVP Stephen Curry: “It ain’t nothing I ain’t never seen before” 21
- PBT Extra: Grizzlies searching for answers, Mike Conley in Game 2 1
- PBT Extra: Hawks need to lean on starters more, hit open looks in Game 2 0
- CP3 who? Clippers come from behind to take Game 1 from Rockets on road. 23