Aug 8, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
Mo Williams had some options, there were a number of teams that had interest in him — at Summer League you heard teams surprised he was available. The Miami Heat were among the teams that wanted him.
Williams wanted a chance to win plus more than just the league minimum salary.
He got it in Portland and jumped at it, he said at his introductory press conference, via Blazers Blog at the Oregonian on twitter.
Mo Williams: "I just want to win. I had opportunities to start (elsewhere)." … "… look at me as a sixth starter."—
oregonlive/blazers (@blazersblog) August 08, 2013
No doubt winning mattered, but the extra million plus dollars over the minimum probably didn’t hurt, either.
Williams is going to be the sixth man in Portland, something he said at the press conference he was comfortable with. Last season Williams averaged 12.9 points and 6.2 assists a game last season, plus he shot 38 percent from three.
People should be careful sleeping on Portland. Last season they had a nice starting five led by LaMarcus Aldridge, Damian Lillard and Nicolas Batum, but things fell off the map when the bench entered. This season they will bring in Williams, Thomas Robinson, C.J. McCollum and Dorell Wright. They will hold their own.
And Williams is going to be a big part of that.
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 41
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 54
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 10