Aug 8, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
Mo Williams had some options, there were a number of teams that had interest in him — at Summer League you heard teams surprised he was available. The Miami Heat were among the teams that wanted him.
Williams wanted a chance to win plus more than just the league minimum salary.
He got it in Portland and jumped at it, he said at his introductory press conference, via Blazers Blog at the Oregonian on twitter.
No doubt winning mattered, but the extra million plus dollars over the minimum probably didn’t hurt, either.
Williams is going to be the sixth man in Portland, something he said at the press conference he was comfortable with. Last season Williams averaged 12.9 points and 6.2 assists a game last season, plus he shot 38 percent from three.
People should be careful sleeping on Portland. Last season they had a nice starting five led by LaMarcus Aldridge, Damian Lillard and Nicolas Batum, but things fell off the map when the bench entered. This season they will bring in Williams, Thomas Robinson, C.J. McCollum and Dorell Wright. They will hold their own.
And Williams is going to be a big part of that.
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 0
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 43