Aug 8, 2013, 8:53 PM EST
Mo Williams had some options, there were a number of teams that had interest in him — at Summer League you heard teams surprised he was available. The Miami Heat were among the teams that wanted him.
Williams wanted a chance to win plus more than just the league minimum salary.
He got it in Portland and jumped at it, he said at his introductory press conference, via Blazers Blog at the Oregonian on twitter.
No doubt winning mattered, but the extra million plus dollars over the minimum probably didn’t hurt, either.
Williams is going to be the sixth man in Portland, something he said at the press conference he was comfortable with. Last season Williams averaged 12.9 points and 6.2 assists a game last season, plus he shot 38 percent from three.
People should be careful sleeping on Portland. Last season they had a nice starting five led by LaMarcus Aldridge, Damian Lillard and Nicolas Batum, but things fell off the map when the bench entered. This season they will bring in Williams, Thomas Robinson, C.J. McCollum and Dorell Wright. They will hold their own.
And Williams is going to be a big part of that.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 10
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14