Aug 8, 2013, 8:53 PM EST
Mo Williams had some options, there were a number of teams that had interest in him — at Summer League you heard teams surprised he was available. The Miami Heat were among the teams that wanted him.
Williams wanted a chance to win plus more than just the league minimum salary.
He got it in Portland and jumped at it, he said at his introductory press conference, via Blazers Blog at the Oregonian on twitter.
Mo Williams: "I just want to win. I had opportunities to start (elsewhere)." … "… look at me as a sixth starter."—
oregonlive/blazers (@blazersblog) August 08, 2013
No doubt winning mattered, but the extra million plus dollars over the minimum probably didn’t hurt, either.
Williams is going to be the sixth man in Portland, something he said at the press conference he was comfortable with. Last season Williams averaged 12.9 points and 6.2 assists a game last season, plus he shot 38 percent from three.
People should be careful sleeping on Portland. Last season they had a nice starting five led by LaMarcus Aldridge, Damian Lillard and Nicolas Batum, but things fell off the map when the bench entered. This season they will bring in Williams, Thomas Robinson, C.J. McCollum and Dorell Wright. They will hold their own.
And Williams is going to be a big part of that.
- Heat come from 15 down to even season series with Pacers 8
- Report: At the moment, Lakers no longer considering trading Pau gasol 8
- PBT Extra: Damian Lillard or Kyrie Irving? Plus coaching hot seat talk. 6
- Report: Celtics may be frontrunners for Asik; would move Bass, Lee, pick 6
- Tyson Chandler returns to Knicks lineup Wednesday night 5
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)