LeBron James has jury duty; not selected for jury

Aug 8, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT

UPDATE 11:42 am: LeBron did indeed show up at the Summit County Courthouse near Akron for Jury duty, but he was not selected (shocking) and was set home with the rest of the jurors at 10:30 a.m., reports the Akron Beacon-Journal.

11:17 am: The odds of LeBron James actually getting put on a jury is about the same as Emily Ratajkowski calling to see what I’m up to tonight…

Nonetheless, nobody gets out of jury duty.

Much like getting the car registered or paying taxes, there are certain parts of the bureaucracy, certain parts of our civic duty nobody gets out of. Not LeBron, not anyone.

But again, expect the courthouse to let him go by lunch. He’s not going to be on a slip-and-fall civil case jury.

1. anotheryx - Aug 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Why is he wearing a Indians cap? What happened to his Yankee cap?

• biasedhomer - Aug 8, 2013 at 12:14 PM

He’s going to the Cavs in a few years!

• sdelmonte - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Would you wear a Yankees cap right now? The Indians are better anyway.

• rmfields - Aug 9, 2013 at 8:29 AM

It wouldn’t match his outfit. Duh.

2. chargerdillon - Aug 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM

From Lebron: “I will not be able to miss work to attend jury duty. If I were to take time off from my career, I wouldn’t be able to pay for my 24/7 DJ.”

• adamsjohn714 - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:19 PM

you get paid for jury duty. It’s probably about the same amount as his NBA contract. I’m pretty sure.

3. unsportsmenmic - Aug 8, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I like, change that LOVE that this is being reported. As Americans, and especially minorities in America we need to be more active in our Country. We got mad and appalled by Casey Anthony cases, Trayvon Martin cases, and etc, but a mass majority of us see Jury duty as a burden instead of a chance to be apart of our country system. At least with things like this being reported I hope a younger generation (again especially minorities) look at this as “LBJ actually cared about doing is civic duty so should I” but we all know this wont be reported anymore for the rest of the year.

4. themike31 - Aug 8, 2013 at 11:54 AM

LOL at this being a story. Might as well change the name of the site to PBTMZ.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Welcome to the middle of the offseason at PBT. Beats the endless stories about the Redskins’ name PFT pushed in the middle of the football offseason.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Yes, I agree. PFT is getting hard to read with Florio turning everything into a moral issue.

5. biasedhomer - Aug 8, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Him being on the jury would only be a distraction. Famous people should not be on jury duty, gotta get them before their fame (if possible).

At least he showed up though.

6. bucrightoff - Aug 8, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Yeah thats some nice subliminal messaging from LeBron with the Indians hat. Remember Miami fans, if he wins 1 ring in Cleveland it makes him a bigger legend there than 1,000 rings would make him in Miami. And yes that has a lot do to with how sad Cleveland sports is.

• jimeejohnson - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM

LeBron has some loyalty to his home state: he’s still registered to vote there, and that’s why he was summoned for jury duty there. He never changed his permanent residency to Florida. Does that mean he pays state income tax in Ohio? That would be an incredible generous gesture on his part.

• adamsjohn714 - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM

If he won 1,000 rings in Miami he would probably become a big legend.

• antistratfordian - Aug 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM

No. That “1 ring in Cleveland would be greater than 10 rings in Miami” nonsense only works as long as he doesn’t have 1 ring in Cleveland.

The moment he wins in Cleveland the argument would immediately change.

7. hojo20 - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Oh, the Indians fighting for a Wild Card and he dusts off the Indians cap. So convienent!

8. vi3tguy415 - Aug 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

DON’T YOU HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO KURT? JURY DUTY? BEFORE I CLICKED ON THE LINK, I KNEW IT WAS YOU. LIKE REALLY??? THIS IS NEWS? DID ME MASTURBATE LAST NIGHT? FOR HOW LONG? CAN YOU WRITE ABOUT IT SINCE YOU PAY SO MUCH ATTENTION TO HIM. write something relevant. thanks!

• Kurt Helin - Sep 6, 2013 at 2:48 AM

I write stories in some cases based on what people are talking about. We judge that based on clicks and comments. Thank you for showing I should do more stories like this. (If you really didn’t care there would be apathy, not all cap comments.)

9. cantonbound13 - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM

The court was made aware that LeBron would want to televise his “decision” on the case.

10. sdelmonte - Aug 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Twelve Angry Men: movie about a jury, or the roster of an NBA team? You decide.

(Yes, I know teams carry 15 and suit up 12.)

11. antihypocritz - Aug 8, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Did Lebron finally finish reading The Hunger Games? Is that a copy of Green Eggs and Ham in is hand?

12. vi3tguy415 - Aug 8, 2013 at 6:08 PM

can anyone see my post above?

• longtallsam - Aug 9, 2013 at 4:44 AM

Nope…you must have gotten deleted, dude! I hate it for you. :)

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches