Celtics great Robert Parish understands what it’s like to be Rajon Rondo

Aug 8, 2013, 12:01 AM EDT

robert parish Bulls Getty Images

Rajon Rondo is a legitimate All-Star point guard, and the only elite level talent left on a Celtics roster that will be undergoing a full-fledged rebuild beginning next season.

There are questions as to whether or not Boston will (or should) retain Rondo during this transition, because at some point, you need special players to return your team to championship contention. But Rondo’s perceived personality may not be fit to lead a younger group to the promised land, so the trade offers will continue to roll in until Rondo is cemented as the future face of the franchise.

The personality issue is an important one, because it may ultimately punch Rondo’s ticket out of town. But Robert Parish, a former Celtic who made his way to the Hall of Fame, understands what it may be like to be Rondo, in that his outward appearance may not be telling the story of just what he’s feling inside.

From Sean Deveney of Sporting News (via CelticsBlog):

“Just going by what I have heard, I have heard he has a talent for being difficult,” Parish said [of Rondo].”But you can say that about most of us. I know I had my moments. For me, if I don’t know you, I come across as being aloof and distant if I don’t know you. I am just quiet if I don’t know you. I can be very stoic looking, that’s just my facial expression. I don’t smile a lot. I come across as being arrogant and dismissive, even if that is not the case. I know what it is to be misunderstood. I can’t say for sure that’s the case with Rondo, but I can understand it if it is.”

Parish was aware of his social shortcomings, but Rondo’s seem to be more embedded in the person he truly is trying to be.

There’s no doubting Rondo’s ability to lead on the court, but being the veteran leader off of it takes a bit more finesse. In Parish’s day, the Celtics were led by Larry Bird and Kevin McHale in the locker room, and in Rondo’s early tenure, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett were there to similarly lead the charge.

It’s unclear at this point if Rondo is up to that task all by himself, but at the very least, he has the support of a former Celtic great who understands the quirks of his personality.

Latest Posts
  1. Enes Kanter soaks up Jazz fans’ boos, but Thunder lose

Mar 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz

Kanter found a way to motivate the Jazz in the dog days of the season, and the Thunder lost in part because of it.

2. Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion

Mar 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

“You don’t have to be best friends to come out here and work together.”

3. Golden State picks up 60th win, clinches top seed in the West

Mar 29, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT

Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry AP

The Golden State Warriors are the team to beat out West.

4. NBA, Pacers issue statement in response to Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act law

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Adam Silver AP

Legislation was signed into law in Indiana last week, and has been criticized as one that could legalize discrimination.

5. Hawks to rest all five starters Saturday after clinching East’s top seed

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks Media Day Getty Images

Hornets, still fighting for a playoff spot, catch a break.

6. Stan Van Gundy: ‘Absolutely no chance’ Magic induct him into team Hall of Fame

Mar 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Stan Van Gundy Stan Van Gundy

Van Gundy coached five seasons in Orlando, but was fired after the way the Dwight Howard debacle played out.

7. Warriors coach Steve Kerr: ‘I would vote for Russell Westbrook’ for MVP

Mar 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Kerr was joking, and making light of a mini-controversy that occurred recently with the Cavaliers.

8. Earl Clark signs 10-day contract with Nets, contributes to win over Cavaliers

Mar 28, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Clark played key bench minutes the same day he was signed.

9. Stephen Curry scores 38 in Warriors’ blowout win over Grizzlies (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT

Stephen Curry AP

Warriors keep rolling, while the Grizzlies are starting to feel like a first round loss.

10. Kevin Love finds LeBron James for huge alley-oop slam (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

LeBron James AP

Highlight-reel play came near the end of a loss to the Nets.

11. LeBron after Cavaliers fall to Nets: ‘You don’t chalk up losses’

Mar 27, 2015, 11:44 PM EDT

LeBron James AP

LeBron refused to be dismissive of a seemingly harmless regular season loss.

12. Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers

Mar 27, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

Orlando Magic add Shaquille O'Neal to team's Hall of Fame Getty Images

O’Neal made the remarks while being inducted into the Orlando Magic Hall of Fame.

13. Draymond Green launches “It’s cool Glen” line of T-shirts in latest banter between him, Doc Rivers

Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

b2644bf0-d4c9-11e4-bb85-27743e449672_csg

The battle between Green and Doc Rivers continues in the funniest of ways.

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches