Aug 7, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
If you’re looking at rivalries from the Lakers side of things, teams like the Celtics in the East and the Spurs in the West are the ones that immediately come to mind for most fans in Los Angeles.
But in Phoenix, Suns fans loathe the Lakers more than any other NBA team, with the possible exception of those same Spurs.
Whether due to proximity (the two teams’ home arenas are just 375 miles apart) or due to the Lakers’ relative success breeding contempt, the “Beat L.A.” chants in the arena are fierce every time the purple and gold come to town.
When taking this into account, the team’s latest move on the digital side is perhaps less of a surprise.
As for the Phoenix Suns, the NBA team bought Beat.la for $5,300. GoDaddy just started a marketing push to help brand .la as the domain name for Los Angeles, even though it’s the country code domain for Laos. This is a clever domain for the Suns to drum up their rivalry.
The site is live now, and features two links on the home page. One takes you to a photo gallery depicting the rivalry over the years, while the other takes you to a video feature commemorating the first time the Suns beat the Lakers in the postseason back in 1990.
Lakers fans may want to laugh this off, but remember, Kobe Bryant holds a grudge for the beatings his teams took at the hands of the Suns in 2006 and 2007. Credit Phoenix for coming up with a creative way to keep the rivalry alive digitally for its fans.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 0
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 30
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21