Aug 7, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
That’s what Portland has now — the Blazers have reached a two-year $5.6 million deal with Williams, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. The second year is a player option.
This is a great get for Portland, they now have a lot of flexibility with their backcourt.
It was a surprise to a number of people around the league that Williams was still on the board — he’s a solid, quality point guard who averaged 12.9 points and 6.2 assists a game last season, plus he shot 38 percent from three. Bringing him off the bench behind the Rookie of the Year Lillard is going to boost the second unit (and you can likely play Lillard and Williams together if you want to go small).
Last season Portland had a good starting five but a real lack of depth did them in (especially when there were injuries). This summer they have remedied that with the additions of Williams, Thomas Robinson, C.J. McCollum and Dorell Wright. Portland may have flown under the radar this summer, but they have done some great work building a roster.
The West is deep and a number of teams — the Lakers, Mavericks, Pelicans, and Timberwolves are all going to be in the mix for just a couple of playoff spots at the bottom of the West (Denver could be in that mix, depending how far you think they step back). Portland is certainly a team that could get the 7 or 8 seed as well.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 13
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 28
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 5
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 47
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23