Aug 7, 2013, 11:02 PM EST
Timberwolves rookie Shabazz Muhammad was sent home early from the NBA’s Rookie Transition Program for a blatant violation of the event’s rules.
The infraction itself wasn’t at all that serious; Muhammad apparently had a female guest in his room hours after being informed that it wasn’t allowed.
But rules are rules, and as a rookie entering the league, now would be the time to start following procedure as opposed to simply doing whatever you want and then dealing with the consequences later, however severe or embarrassing they may ultimately be.
Then the media gets ahold of the story & blows it outa proportion, like they always do. Now his gotta bad wrap b4 he’s ever played a(cont)
Game.. Starting behind the 8 ball already! I guess I’m tryn to say there are bigger issues to deal with, then whether or not a grown(cont)
Man has a woman In his room.. @phenom15balla keep ur head up boy & keep working hard, this will blow over
Everyone is very aware that this isn’t a Michael Beasley scenario where drugs were involved at the same event back in 2008, but it does speak to a player’s level of commitment that in his first opportunity to prove himself at his new job, he doesn’t take the rules very seriously.
Barnes, while always coming across as thoughtful and intelligent off the court, has had similar problems following rules while playing the game itself. He’s constantly crossing the line physically, and despite having his best season as a pro last year, still managed to get himself suspended for some nonsense involving Greg Stiemsma in late January. He was also arrested last summer, and reportedly threatened the officer as he was being taken into custody.
Again, this isn’t about the offense — having a female guest in your room is hardly anything to get upset about. But violating clearly stated rules just isn’t a good look for a rookie, and given Barnes’ history of ignoring even the most basic of rules, it isn’t a surprise that he’s the one speaking so loudly in Muhammad’s defense.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 9
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18