Aug 7, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
But to reach that goal, the Heat are thinking smaller steps that have nothing to do with being on the court.
Oden has officially signed his two-year deal with the Miami Heat, but here is what Miami president and power broker Pat Riley said as part of that announcement.
“After many months of discussion, evaluations and speaking with Greg, we felt it was a perfect time for him to make his comeback and re-enter the NBA with the Miami HEAT,” Riley said in a released statement. “It’s a great challenge for him. We know all about his past injuries, but we feel that there is a huge upside and the possibility of him helping us, that’s why we took the risk. We will continue his program and then we will tackle basketball issues after that.”
Everyone who has seen Greg Oden workout has pretty much said the same thing — he looks good. He’s in shape, he’s clearly put in the time to get here and he’s moving well.
But this is the same guy who has had three microfracture surgeries and has not stepped on a court since 2009. There are ample reasons to bring him along very slowly.
Miami was attractive to Oden for that reason (and probably a couple others I can think of). The Heat don’t need him right away, they need him later in the season and in the playoffs. There was going to be less pressure to perform right away, the Heat are going to win plenty of regular season games without him.
We’ll have to see what happens when the Heat and Oden do decide to “tackle basketball issues.”
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 32
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 44
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42