David Lee says Warriors not trying to trade him

Aug 7, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT

David Lee AP

The Golden State Warriors have some salary challenges coming up in the next couple years. They are at a comfortable $66 million this season (over the cap but under the tax line) and next season Andrew Bogut comes off the books (at least at $14 million a year).

However, Stephen Curry, David Lee and Andre Iguodala all make eight digits a year and in the coming couple years the Warriors are going to have to look at extensions for Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes.

So Golden State has looked at moving him in the past.

But David Lee said that is not the case, speaking with Marc Berman of the New York Post (via Sulia).

“From what I’m told from our people, those are not true,” Lee told me. “Of course in the offseason, everyone’s always available. But we’ll see what happens. Being in New York, I understand nothing is forever. Anybody is always capable of being moved anywhere. But I’m excited about the next couple of years with this team.’’

Of course the Warriors are going to look at offers. However they go into this season with high hopes after last year’s playoff run then the addition of Andre Iguodala — they think their defense is better and they are going to put up a lot of points.

Lee — a double-double machine who can get them points in the paint and rebounds — is going to be a big part of any step forward this season. While no doubt the Warriors will continue to listen to offers, don’t expect to see a deal unless it is something they really like.

1. neko123 - Aug 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Lee is a great complement to Cury and Thompson, but I’m wondering how he fits into the mix with Iquodala on board. The starting five is gonna be: PG Curry, SG Thompson, C Bogut, PF Lee and SF Iguodala. But where do you play Barnes, the talented rookie from last year that looks to have star quality written all over him. He seems to be too good to relegate to the bench. But if Bogut stays true to form and goes back on the DL, the Warriors could have a small but potent starting five of Cury, Thompson, Lee (playing out of position at C), Iquodala and Barnes. I thought the Warrior were the most exciting team to watch in the playoffs. Looking for them to go the semi-finals in the West this year…..

• kb2408 - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM

You bring H.B. off the bench. There has been plenty of very good players that have come off the bench to start their careers (McHale, Manu, Jason Terry, etc.). Heck, Manu has come off the bench his entire career for the most part.

2. jbq2 - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Harrison Barnes is indeed very good. He was guarding Kobe when he hurt his Achilles. His defense was so good that Kobe fell down. A foul was called on Barnes even though Kobe wasn’t even touched, wasn’t even close. Unfortunate for Kobe but it showed just how good that Harrison Barnes really is. David Lee is from my hometown. It would appear that he is expendable with the addition of Iquodala.

• kb2408 - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Kobe stopper? Harrison might be a future star but he couldn’t guard Kobe then and won’t be able to even when Kobe is 40.

• joeksnuffy - Aug 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Harrison Barnes is very good because he happened to be guarding Kobe when his achilles ruptured. Oh, and David Lee is from your home town. Wow. Tremendous insight. Thanks for posting.

• 3xchamps - Aug 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM

so i guess dahntay jones is a great player also, because he caused kobe to roll his ankle?

• anhdazman - Aug 8, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Iguodala is a SF who can also play SG and PG in a pinch. I don’t see how having him and making PF Lee expendable. Iguodala can’t play PF. And if you believe you could slide Barnes into the starting PF position, I believe that would also be a mistake in the long run. Sure Barnes could hold down the PF position on limited minutes and some games, but through a grind of a long season, that would wear him down.

If you believe Speights or O’Neal is the solution for trading away Lee, you’re also looking at a huge drop off. There’s no doubt Lee is a top 7 PF, I feel a top 5 PF in the league. With Bogut’s strong defensive game behind Lee to offset his weakness in this area, just makes the Warriors a much better team when they’re both on the floor. Do recall how San Antonio Big Men wore down the smaller Warriors in the 2nd round. Lee would have been a big difference if he was totally healthy in the 2nd round.

3. biasedhomer - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Lee won’t be traded this year, but eventually will be IMO. And there will be teams out there who see him as a complimentary piece to a superstar.

4. beavertonsteve - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Real Question-

Does anyone chant this during Clippers away games?

5. ProBasketballPundit - Aug 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I like David Lee, but Zach Lowe pointed out how his teams actually rebound better without him on the court. Advanced stats can really muck up our perceptions. David Lee is already a huge liability on defense… if his rebounding isn’t actually an asset then maybe it’s time to move him.

• eventhorizon04 - Aug 7, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Just to repeat what ProBasketballPundit is saying: David Lee’s individual rebounding numbers are excellent.

However, whenever he’s on the court, the number of rebounds the Warriors get goes down, as reported by Zach Lowe of Grantland.

Lee is a terrible defender, in particular when it comes to making correct defensive rotations, so my guess is that Lee’s presence on the court compromises his team’s defense to the point where the opposing teams score more efficiently.
      Fewer missed shots by opponents mean fewer rebounds for the Warriors as a whole to grab.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 7, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Ah, pretty good explanation. I wasn’t sure exactly how Zach Lowe explained it but that sounds right. David Lee’s porous defense means fewer rebounds for his team despite his individual stats. So really he could still be a good rebounder but he’s such a bad defender than his team rebounds better without him because there’s more misses due to improved defense. Even though I’m a little confused about what I just said, I love advanced stats. Without them people would still think Rudy Gay was an elite player.

• metalhead65 - Aug 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM

screw advanced stats. I refuse to follow them because some geeks invented them to make their fantasy teams better. they ruined baseball and I refuse to let them ruin the other sports I follow, so Get Off My Lawn!

• jimeejohnson - Aug 7, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I think you’re lying.

• metalhead65 - Aug 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM

not a chance.the stats I had growing up playing and watching the game are the only ones I care about.saber metrics mean nothing to me. I refuse to have some stat tell me the player I watch in a game is not a good player because he did not reach some stupid stat they deem relevant.same way with baseball,I don’t even know or want to know what half the new stats are or mean.

• anhdazman - Aug 8, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I agree, some of these stat heads forget to watch the game and look at the ultimate goal which is Team wins.

What stats provide the necessary block out, dive for loose balls, extra pass outside which was eventually swung out to the wide open 3 point shooter? Or the player who just physically wears down the other team’s best player because of his sheer hustle and determination. Those don’t show up in the stat sheets.

Agree with you 100% Metalhead, too many fantasy stat fans in the world, the forget what it take to win ball games.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 8, 2013 at 9:15 AM

metalhead65

seems you don’t like change… So why are you using the internet then? Cell phones etc… I don’t know how old you are, I’m in my mid 40’s and I love baseball and none of the sabermetric stats existed then but they are good.

Things change, things improve. They still need to create some more. So some guy knocks in 94 men on the year. In the OLD days he was a better RBI man than the guy with 72 RBI’s.

But what I want to know is how many guys they came up to bat that year with me in scoring position.

IF the guy with 94 RBI’s came to bat and had 154 men in scoring position for the entire year then he did’t do as well knocking guys in as the man with 72 RBI’s if he only came to bat with 109 men in scoring position all year.

Just like Carmelo Anthony led the NBA in scoring this past season. He did so ONLY because he took so many shots. He wasn’t efficient at all. He averaged 28.7 pts a game yet had to take 22.22 shots a game to score those points. Kevin Durant averaged 28.1 pts to finish 2nd in the league in scoring yet he only took 17.69 shots a game.

Carmelo Anthony was NOT the best scorer in the game. He scored the most ONLY because he shot so damn much. NBA teams only get about 81 to 82 shots a game and Melo shot terribly at only .449% from the field last yr.

Without new and better stats many people might actually think Melo was the best scorer in the game last yr and he wasn’t even close to being the best scorer.

Or maybe you’d like your retirement account to be handled by the biggest firm as they have the most clients but they only get you a 5% return each year. I’m guessing you might like to know more about them and other firms to find out if you’d make more money elsewhere.

Information and knowledge is power. You use and embrace other changes in your life as you’ve aged, like in technology so why not in better information about how players actually perform?

• metalhead65 - Aug 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM

some change is good. I prefer judging players by what I see on the field. I find these new stats useless when I watch my team the reds play. my eyes tell me cozart is useless in the number 2 hole but the new stats tell me other wise. I am going with my eyes on this because when I watch him he either strikes out or hits into a rally inning ending double play. plus you can’t expect me to take them seriously when stat heads tell me Joey votto walks to much. really? so you want him to swing at bad pitches? he doesn’t have enough rbi’s for the stat geeks,so whose fault is that? how does he get rbi’s if nobody is on base when he comes up? oh I forgot he is suppose at any pitch if someone is on base right? I don’t care how he got on base as long as he is on. it does not matter in my book how he scores a run as long as he scores.

6. joeksnuffy - Aug 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM

The David Lee question. Tremendously skilled big man. Good rebounder. Mediocre defender at best. The playoff run was done without him. But, he was key in the early season run that set them up to get a decent seed in the playoffs. What would they have done in the playoffs with him? I like his talent and his attitude. But, after 20 years of losing, I’m for whatever it takes to win. Tough call.

7. dubsgiantsniners - Aug 7, 2013 at 4:48 PM

i think it all depends on the return. absolutely DLee has question marks (as do all players not named Durant or Lebron) but if the dubs ship him and still want to compete this year, they’d have to bring back a better solution at the 4 than some combo of Speights/Small Ball Lineups with Barnes and Draymond Green. Also remembering that Bogut, as solid as he was in the playoffs, can’t really be counted on for more that 25 min/game, GSW post depth is too weak to blowup right now and still think they could get to the finals, let alone the Western Conf. Championship (unless Draymond Green magically grows 4 inches, of course).

and looking at the expiring PF contracts around the league, I’m not sure who they could trade for that would still keep them in Larry O’Brien contention.

Unless the Spurs would go Tim Duncan for David Lee straight up. Which I’m all for. Something tells me R.C. Buford would be less than amused by the idea, though.

8. bkbouncer - Aug 7, 2013 at 7:57 PM

With him saying this, he’ll probably be traded before the season starts.

9. anhdazman - Aug 8, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Too many fans, especially no so knowledgeable GSW fans think they can just get rid of Lee and his production. How are you going to replace the best double double PF from last year? He consistently gives you strong games and what he lacks defensively he out works his counter part on the offensive side of the game. If people are more patient, they’ll understand management traded for Bogut to be that defensive Center to offset Lee’s and Curry’s lack of defense.

Who will GSW trade Lee for? Some unproven talent? You’re not getting anyone like LeBron or Durant in return. You get a guy like LaMarcus Aldridge and he’s at about the same pay scale. He’ll likely be a nice fit, but it’s not going to be a straight up trade. GSW would have to give more for Aldridge. Then you’re going to have to hope he gels with the team. GSW currently have a great core of players that have grown with one another. They need to keep this core and build. They absolutely did this by adding an All Star in Iguodala. With a healthy return of Bogut and improvement by last year’s rookie class, GSW is a team on the rise.

10. skinsfanwill - Aug 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM

You all are forgetting about Kent Bazemore. taht kid is talented and is a better defender than Harrison Barnes. Barnes always looks scared to attack, scared to shoot. I’ve watched him pass up drives to the basket and open shots to pass. He needs to be aggressive. Bazemore will be a better player than Barnes. You heard it hear first.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches