Aug 6, 2013, 3:57 PM EDT
But can coach Randy Wittman get them there?
While some people around the league have their doubts, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis gave Wittman a big vote of confidence, in speaking with Ben Standig at CSNWashington.com.
“Randy and the system,” Wizards owner Ted Leonsis said following Wall’s contract extension press conference last week when asked about his belief in the coach. …
What does he like about Wittman? The focus on defense. Through all of their issues last season the Wizards had the eighth best defense in the NBA last season (in points allowed per possession, which was 101.8, the league median was 103).
“When you add that a team that plays committed team defense and has individual, very, very good defenders, I think those are good, good signs that make you kind of put some distance between you and the rest of the teams,” Leonsis said. “So yeah, I would say Randy’s emphasis on defense and his ability to make the players accountable – I sit on the floor. Randy’s not shy. He’s ecumenical in his wrath to all of the players. it’s mostly about, ‘ you didn’t box out, how did you let that guy get to the loose ball, why didn’t you get that rebound’. It’s not about ‘you missed the shot.’
“Culturally, that’s such a change for us, that accountability to each other and the coach to play good defense I think is another very positive step for us.”
That sounds great, but if the losses pile up, that accountability could catch up with Wittman.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 6
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 7
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 38
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73