Aug 6, 2013, 2:18 PM EST
Michael Beasley once told David Kahn that his days of smoking marijuana were in the past. They were apparently in the future too, though, because the Phoenix Suns forward was arrested early Tuesday morning after a Scottsdale police officer smelled marijuana after stopping the former No. 2 pick for a traffic violation.
Beasley has had his fair share of public issues with the drug, but he’s pretty much been able to stay out of trouble — and out of the limelight — over the past few seasons (save for when he got his car impounded after speeding). That doesn’t make Tuesday’s news anymore surprising, though, and will likely lead to further scrutiny for the former Kansas State product.
An abundance of details aren’t necessary when it comes to this sort of case, but the Scottsdale Police Department decided to post them on their website anyway with a headline titled “High Profile Arrest.”
On 08/06/13 at 1:15 am SPD made a stop for a traffic violation in the area of Scottsdale and McCormick Roads. As the officer approached the vehicle he could smell marijuana emanating from within the car. A search of the driver’s area recovered marijuana that was impounded. The driver, identified as Michael Beasley, was booked pending charges for possession of marijuana and released.
It’s unfortunate that a player once considered to have so much potential has continued to struggle with this problem, especially considering he’s no longer as productive as he once was — despite being a five-year pro that’s just slightly older than the college seniors drafted earlier this summer. The 24-year-old averaged a career-low 20 minutes during his first season with the Suns while also putting career-lows in the scoring (10.1), rebounding (3.8) and field-goal percentage (40.5) departments.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 8
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11