Aug 6, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
Jimmy Butler is the Chicago Bulls starting two guard.
He started 20 games for the Bulls last season then every game in the playoffs. In the offseason, coach Tom Thibodeau has said Butler is the team’s starting two guard, lined up next to Derrick Rose in the backcourt.
Butler himself doesn’t see it that way.
“I feel like I’m not a starter yet,” said Butler following a workout at the Berto Center last week. “The season isn’t here yet and I still need to work my tail off for the rest of the offseason, go into training camp, play hard and do what I’m supposed to do. Coach Thibs and the management will do whatever they think it takes to help us win. Whether that means me as a starter or coming off the bench, whatever it may be, I’m comfortable with it. I just want to win games.”
You have to like that attitude.
The job is his, he earned it in the playoffs when he averaged 13.3 points a game, shot 40 percent from three and brought good defense every night. Drafted at the very end of the first round out of Marquette, he has proven to be a shrewd pick and another steal for the Bulls.
Butler is enjoying some of the perks of his fledgling stardom — he toured China, he went to the ESPYs where Jamie Foxx came up and introduced himself — but he also talked about spending this summer working on his game.
“I’m working on everything,” said Butler. “My game’s not perfect in any area, so why stop working on one over another? I’m definitely spending time on my three-point shot, because with Derrick back, teams are going to double team him. So we’ve got to be able to open the floor for him. I’m working on some mid-post work, for when I’m going up against a smaller two guard or small forward. You’ve got to be able to score from every point on the floor. And a lot of ball handing, so I can be the secondary ball handler. That’s also important.”
Him taking a step forward will be a big part of the Bulls taking a step forward this season as well. That and the whole healthy Rose thing.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3