Aug 5, 2013, 10:21 AM EST
Last summer, John Wall and Gary Payton talked. The reason is that while we all remember “The Glove” and the guy who is about to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, we don’t remember the Payton who struggled to fit in the NBA.
“First of all I struggled for three years,” Payton told ProBasketballTalk last January. “Really for two years, and then when George Karl got there (to Seattle) my struggles ended because I got a basketball coach that let me do what I wanted to do… Me and (Wall) have talked a lot on the phone. He has called me about the situation, the same situation (I was in) to learn about things, and I’ve been talking to him about things and I’ve been talking to him a lot”
Now the two are going to do more than talk — Wall is going to work out with Payton this summer, reports J. Michael at CSNWashington.com (Damian Lillard also will be part of the workouts).
Wall still plans to hook up with Gary Payton, a Hall of Fame point guard who was one of the best of his generation, in Seattle before returning to train with the Wizards on Aug. 20. Plus, he had ample time to watch the nuances of Tony Parker as he led the San Antonio Spurs to the NBA finals and the Memphis Grizzlies’ Mike Conley, who helped his team advance to the Western Conference finals.
“Footwork also, just like catching the ball and working on pivots and stuff,” Wall said about what he has done this off-season in addition to refining jump shot. “Floaters. Watched a lot of Tony Parker throughout the playoffs and I see how Mike Conley added to his game after I went to two of his playoff series.”
Wall just signed a five-year, $80 million deal — now he has to live up to it. He has to get better.
Payton told PBT when we spoke that Wall’s drive was what he thinks will be key.
“With John Wall I think he understood that he has to get better and he has to go work out and he has to go improve on those things,” Payton said. “I think if he knows he’s not good at something, he’ll go workout at it. And that’s what I respect a lot about him and a lot about his game. And I know he’s going to get better because I know he’s got the mentality that he wants to get better, he wants to learn from other people, he wants to take advice from people and he wants to get better.”
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 5
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 11
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 19
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 54
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11