Aug 5, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
It was pretty evident Paul Pierce didn’t love the idea of being traded. It seemed a situation where he intellectually understood this as a good move for him, but after 15 years as a Celtic is was understandably emotionally hard.
But Doc Rivers thinks it could be good for him.
Rivers, who left Boston as well and is now the coach of the Clippers, spoke with Newsday about the move of Pierce.
“I think in some ways, it may give him more life,” Rivers said Friday after being honored with a Sports Pioneer award at the National Association of Black Journalists convention. “But I just think it’s tough for him personally. Like he said in the press conference, he wanted to stay and wasn’t allowed to, and that’s tough for him.”
The Nets are an interesting melting pot this season. They added Pierce and Kevin Garnett to a team that already had Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and Brook Lopez (plus now Andrei Kirilenko is in the mix). They have a guy the players respect in Jason Kidd as coach… with the question there being can he coach?
It’s a lot of parts to blend together, but it’s also a veteran group that could do it faster than other teams who get a makeover. Rivers got a thrown together veteran group to win a title in Boston in 2008, and he was asked about the Nets.
“I think it will come together,” Rivers said. “Listen, anything comes together when a lot of people want it to come together, and they have a lot of guys that want it to come together. Paul, Jason and Kevin want to win another title and everyone else wants to win their first. So if they all want to do that, then it all will work out.”
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 52
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 34
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18