Aug 5, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
It was pretty evident Paul Pierce didn’t love the idea of being traded. It seemed a situation where he intellectually understood this as a good move for him, but after 15 years as a Celtic is was understandably emotionally hard.
But Doc Rivers thinks it could be good for him.
Rivers, who left Boston as well and is now the coach of the Clippers, spoke with Newsday about the move of Pierce.
“I think in some ways, it may give him more life,” Rivers said Friday after being honored with a Sports Pioneer award at the National Association of Black Journalists convention. “But I just think it’s tough for him personally. Like he said in the press conference, he wanted to stay and wasn’t allowed to, and that’s tough for him.”
The Nets are an interesting melting pot this season. They added Pierce and Kevin Garnett to a team that already had Deron Williams, Joe Johnson and Brook Lopez (plus now Andrei Kirilenko is in the mix). They have a guy the players respect in Jason Kidd as coach… with the question there being can he coach?
It’s a lot of parts to blend together, but it’s also a veteran group that could do it faster than other teams who get a makeover. Rivers got a thrown together veteran group to win a title in Boston in 2008, and he was asked about the Nets.
“I think it will come together,” Rivers said. “Listen, anything comes together when a lot of people want it to come together, and they have a lot of guys that want it to come together. Paul, Jason and Kevin want to win another title and everyone else wants to win their first. So if they all want to do that, then it all will work out.”
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 11
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 45
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11