Aug 5, 2013, 4:48 PM EST
I started arguing for this a little last season and I’m going to stick with it — if you’re going to let guys who never play off the end of the NBA bench that nobody at home knows fill the NBA All-Star Weekend Dunk contest, then why not let some of the real dunk contest circuit guys who are not in the NBA take part?
Why do that? Watch that dunk above again.
That is 5’10″ guy is “Young Hollywood” (his mother calls him Haneef Munir) and he did this three times at an event in Santa Monica last weekend Griffin was at to help sell some of his Air Jordans (this sweet ad will help with that, too).
What the dunk contest needs is creativity and energy — that’s what the dunk contest circuit guys bring. If Young Hollywood did this exact dunk in New Orleans next February at All-Star Weekend, he would bring the house down. Fans might even tune in (the problem with the dunk contest is that it doesn’t translate to television all that well, unless the dunk is off-the-charts). I know what the NBA needs is stars doing the contest to really get ratings, but that’s not likely to happen (not in great numbers, anyway). Young Hollywood won the 2011 Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown, he knows how to perform on a big stage. So why not let some fresh faces have a shot? That would be fun.
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 5
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 13
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 12
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 6
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)