Aug 4, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
The Pistons were reportedly one of the first teams in line to talk with the Celtics about a potential deal for Rajon Rondo, once Boston entered a full-fledged rebuild by sending Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett to the Nets.
Whether due to the offers being low while Rondo still rehabs from a torn ACL injury, or because the Celtics aren’t interested in trading their All-Star point guard at this time, Detroit wasn’t able to pry Rondo from Danny Ainge’s figurative clutches.
Instead, the Pistons went out and got Brandon Jennings in a sign-and-trade on a pretty reasonable three-year deal worth $24 million. But that doesn’t mean that their level of interest in Rondo has changed.
Just because the Pistons acquired Brandon Jennings in a sign-and-trade deal with the Bucks doesn’t mean they’ve lost interest in Rajon Rondo. In fact, they could eventually use Jennings as a trade chip and seek to acquire Rondo. There are going to be several interested parties in Rondo, and that number could increase when he shows he’s fully recovered from anterior cruciate ligament surgery.
The Celtics are in fact rebuilding, but at some point you need to acquire star talent to return your team to relevance, and they already have that in Rondo at the point guard position.
It’s true Rondo’s icy personality may not be a fit for every locker room, and after seven NBA seasons, he may want to take on a leadership role that his younger teammates may not be willing to embrace. Boston has repeatedly said that the team is not shopping Rondo, but GMs will continue to call and make offers because there is a belief around the league that he can be had for not too steep of a price.
Joe Dumars will keep Ainge on speed dial just in case, as the acquisition of Jennings hasn’t changed Detroit’s outlook on Rondo in the slightest.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 19
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25