Aug 4, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
After agreeing to terms with Greg Oden on Friday, the Miami Heat now have 13 players who will be on guaranteed contracts for next season. They have the rights to a 14th in Jarvis Varnado, but his deal is not fully guaranteed just yet.
If Miami is to max its roster out with 15 guaranteed contracts, the team figures to add a veteran presence that could help reduce the minutes of some of the starters during the regular season, and perhaps even be there to provide some assistance in the playoffs if it becomes absolutely necessary.
Telfair played competently in a season and a half with the Suns, before being dealt to the Raptors in exchange for Hamed Haddadi and a second round pick as the team began to rid itself of veterans as part of a rebuilding effort that began with a coaching change in the middle of last season.
The nine-year NBA veteran has career averages of 7.4 points and 3.5 assists in 21.6 minutes per game, though the numbers were a bit leaner last year in 16.6 minutes per contest in total while playing in Toronto and Phoenix.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 19
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 17
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 17
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80