Aug 4, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
After agreeing to terms with Greg Oden on Friday, the Miami Heat now have 13 players who will be on guaranteed contracts for next season. They have the rights to a 14th in Jarvis Varnado, but his deal is not fully guaranteed just yet.
If Miami is to max its roster out with 15 guaranteed contracts, the team figures to add a veteran presence that could help reduce the minutes of some of the starters during the regular season, and perhaps even be there to provide some assistance in the playoffs if it becomes absolutely necessary.
Telfair played competently in a season and a half with the Suns, before being dealt to the Raptors in exchange for Hamed Haddadi and a second round pick as the team began to rid itself of veterans as part of a rebuilding effort that began with a coaching change in the middle of last season.
The nine-year NBA veteran has career averages of 7.4 points and 3.5 assists in 21.6 minutes per game, though the numbers were a bit leaner last year in 16.6 minutes per contest in total while playing in Toronto and Phoenix.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 18
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6