Aug 4, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
After agreeing to terms with Greg Oden on Friday, the Miami Heat now have 13 players who will be on guaranteed contracts for next season. They have the rights to a 14th in Jarvis Varnado, but his deal is not fully guaranteed just yet.
If Miami is to max its roster out with 15 guaranteed contracts, the team figures to add a veteran presence that could help reduce the minutes of some of the starters during the regular season, and perhaps even be there to provide some assistance in the playoffs if it becomes absolutely necessary.
Telfair played competently in a season and a half with the Suns, before being dealt to the Raptors in exchange for Hamed Haddadi and a second round pick as the team began to rid itself of veterans as part of a rebuilding effort that began with a coaching change in the middle of last season.
The nine-year NBA veteran has career averages of 7.4 points and 3.5 assists in 21.6 minutes per game, though the numbers were a bit leaner last year in 16.6 minutes per contest in total while playing in Toronto and Phoenix.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 6
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5