Report: Heat express interest in Sebastian Telfair

Aug 4, 2013, 11:00 PM EST

Toronto Raptors guard Sebastian Telfair passes the ball in front of Boston Celtics forward Brandon Bass in the second quarter of their NBA basketball game in Boston Reuters

After agreeing to terms with Greg Oden on Friday, the Miami Heat now have 13 players who will be on guaranteed contracts for next season. They have the rights to a 14th in Jarvis Varnado, but his deal is not fully guaranteed just yet.

If Miami is to max its roster out with 15 guaranteed contracts, the team figures to add a veteran presence that could help reduce the minutes of some of the starters during the regular season, and perhaps even be there to provide some assistance in the playoffs if it becomes absolutely necessary.

Sebastian Telfair fits the description, and the Heat have expressed interest in adding the veteran point guard, reports Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld.

Telfair played competently in a season and a half with the Suns, before being dealt to the Raptors in exchange for Hamed Haddadi and a second round pick as the team began to rid itself of veterans as part of a rebuilding effort that began with a coaching change in the middle of last season.

The nine-year NBA veteran has career averages of 7.4 points and 3.5 assists in 21.6 minutes per game, though the numbers were a bit leaner last year in 16.6 minutes per contest in total while playing in Toronto and Phoenix.

1. 1972wasalongtimeago - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Anyone out there who hates Heat fans can take pleasure in knowing that most of us are also Dolphins fans. It’s freaking brutal, man.

• lospolloshermanos13 - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Most Heat fans are not Dolphins fans. I can assure you this. Why would the bandwagoners be fans of the Dolphins? They’re either Broncos or NY Giants.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Okay fine. Can you agree that most Dolphins fans are also Heat fans? Let me tell you, Dolphins fans have paid the price through the years. We’ve earned our good fortune as Heat fans.

• sprint32 - Aug 6, 2013 at 5:19 AM

Not all Heat fans are on the bandwagon but if so who cares. Whay team pays u to root for them?

• precisionphotographer - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:40 PM

True story…
        Heat fans cheer winners
        Dolphin fans boo losers

Exactly why you have only 9 loser fans like you voting yea and 39 winner fans saying “The same? No way”

Translation: Dolphins suck, and have sucked for what? 40 years? Pitful.

• heat256 - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:53 AM

A couple of more seasons and us Dolphins fans will have that same glazed look Cubs fans do – thinking that THIS year it’ll all happen, but doesn’t.

• addictedzone - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:08 AM

A couple more seasons? I thought that glazed look set in before the turn of the century.

• heat256 - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM

That’s actually heatstroke. Gotta love 6 billion percent humidity for a Sept 1pm game.

2. dj3garrett - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM

This guy is below average… I don’t think they need another PG with Bron and Wade also being good ball handlers..If they were to sign another PG it should be Mo Williams… I think Ronnie Brewer or Dantay Jones would also be better options… Athletic perimeter defenders… They might already have that in place with James Ennis though… The main priority this season should be to get every one healthy to the playoffs… They can beat anyone on the road so homecourt is not as important…

• muhangis - Aug 5, 2013 at 5:53 AM

I was right about to up your comment until I read the last sentence… “They can beat anyone on the road so homecourt is not as important”…..

yeah but that doesn’t take away the fact that they have a greater win % at home, as with about every team.

3. miamatt - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Not sure how helpful he would be in reducing veterans’ regular season minutes, as PG is Miami’s youngest position. Maybe he provides an alternative in matchups that expose Cole or Chalmers, and another veteran on the bench who can initiate the offense if needed never hurts.

• ringjames - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM

yes, because remember, in the Finals, Norris Cole minutes were drastically reduced. Putting much of the burden on Chalmers who’s turnover prone. Telfair would be a decent 3rd option if need be. Even in garbage time, he can keep other scrubs from chipping away at the lead. But, I still think Mo Williams, Lamar Odom, or Lou Amundson should be pursued before Telfair.

• zoomy123 - Aug 5, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Mario Chalmers is not turnover prone; he averaged 1.5 a game last season.

• fanofthegame79 - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:39 AM

If the Heat go after anyone, it should be a big (like Odom or Amundson). If they decide to go after a point guard, go with Mo Williams.

• adamsjohn714 - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Odom is the only one of the three who has been good in the past. Telfair has stunk up the league for a decade, and Cole hasn’t had an average regular season yet.

• mrfsilva - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Well, let’s be honest. Odom was a great player. But for the last 3 years he has been terrible. And Chalmers has worked out for the Heat, because he shoots well, and Bron has been the point guard. Chalmers is an undersized shooting guard, not a point guard. But I agree, Telfair is not a good fit. Mo is a heck of a shooter, and also a real pg, that fit better our needs.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:37 AM

adamsjohn714

I’m sure you won’t believe it, but I agree with all three of your points… as they are all on point.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I think the Heat put this story out there just to make DeShawn Stevenson crazy

4. patfic15 - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I remember years ago SLAM featured both Bron and Bassy on the cover sporting the title Ready to Take Over or something similar to that. Did someone forget to tell Sebastian?

5. adamsjohn714 - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Don’t do it. He stinks. Plus he can’t shoot well enough to warrant him standing in a corner and just doing that.

6. thekingdave - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Come on 72. I can respect you because I know you’re legit and in Miami, but the majority of Heat “fans” who flood these boards calling everyone “haters” are not Dolphin fans or even in Miami. They’re LBJ fans and/or front runners. Case in point: me watching the Celtics/Heat 2012 ECF Game 7 at a bar in Houston. They were out in full force with tilted Heat caps with off colors, sticker still planted on. Bringing up Harold Miner and Rony Seikaky was met by many blank stares.

• pantsfreezone - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Bimbo Coles and Grant Long are players that true Miami fans know. But I think the statement that the majority of Heat fans are front-runners is just plain stupid.

• thekingdave - Aug 5, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Please elaborate. I have never, ever seen multiple Heat “fans” out in public in Houston prior to 2010. Go read that Ray Allen interview where he laughs about a game against the Jazz in Utah being crowded with Heat fans. Extrapolate that across the United States and tell me that doesn’t close to tipping over 50%. Alas, I guess I’m just a hater.

• patfic15 - Aug 5, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Bimbo Coles! I used to get doubles of him in near every pack cards I bought. I hate that man.

• skinsfanwill - Aug 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Don’t forget guys Ike Austin, Mashburn, Glenn Rice, Brian Grant, Eddie Jones, and my personal favorite ..Sherman Douglas. I was a huge Syracuse fan which made me a huge Miami fan. #1 draft pick Rony Seikaly. I’m afraid to tell people I’m a fan now because I immediately get labeled a bandwagoner.

• rkjohn9999 - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM

@thekingdave – What does a Heat fan look like? How do you know if someone is a Heat fan? If you are talking about wearing a team’s gear that does not make a fan. Just ask Colin Kaepernick.

• gofinsgoheatfloria - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Unless they got those caps after the previous game to replace their Celtics caps, those folks probably weren’t front-runners. LBJ fans, more likely.

• miamatt - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM

The scene at one sports bar in Houston may fit your paradigm, but it hardly proves anything. You wanna say they are plenty of bandwagoners? Sure there are… there pretty much are with any team, that has a run of success. I’m sure they stand out all the more in cities with opposing teams. But to go ahead and just stamp “majority bandwagoners” is completely arbitrary and nothing more than stating an opinion as fact.

I was born and raised in Miami (and now live there again) but I was living in Chicago during the second Bulls 3-peat and in Boston during their last two Finals’ runs. There were plenty of great fans in both cities, but you know what else? A whole subset of “fans” who were in it for the party. What % of fans are bandwagoners, who knows… but there was no team (or player) that had more bandwagon jumpers than MJ and the Bulls in the 90s. And I hardly would use that to reflect upon Bulls fans in general.

Like with ANY high-profile championship team, the “flooding of message boards and bars” is always a combination of the fans who were always there talking louder with those who are just here for the party.

For the record, I’m with Bosh on the true bush-league Heat fans (like those who left game 6 early)… stay away, we don’t need ya. If you’re in it for the long haul, then by all means LET’S GO HEAT!

• thekingdave - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Trust me, I get all that. In fact I’m starting to experience it myself as a Rockets fan with the playoff season and D12 coming in. This was in the wake of Yao’s career ending and a small playoff drought where they weren’t exactly being talked about. I just think in the Heat’s case there are factors that take it to the next level, mainly LBJ being the greatest player in the world and all the people he’s brought with him, and being in the culture surrounding Miami with the Rick Ross and his joke of a record label and all.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Can’t accuse Dolphins fans of being on the bandwagon.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM

What is a real fan? I’m a LeBron James fan and a Dwyane Wade fan. Always have been and probably always will be. Do I root for the Heat? Hell yes. Do I live anywhere near Miami? No. But I don’t care. They are great basketball players and I like watching great basketball.

7. djchichibp - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Don’t pick this bum up! Go get al Harrington an dahntay jones or deshawn Stevenson!!! Trade Joel for some penny’s or a second draft pick …

• miamatt - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I like the idea of Al Harrington especially…

8. rickyspanish - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:58 AM

thekingdave

Every bit of your statement was great. Those fans are why we’re the laughing stock of the other 29 teams’ fan base. Every one of those front running goobers look exactly like that Beeber kid that was in the front row all decked out in Miami garb looking all moody.

9. laduke14 - Aug 5, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Telfair really!? , guy was supposed to be a playground great , who was to be a star in the NBA but wind up being a bust. I would rather they take Mo Williams then this washed up bum.

10. pauliewalnuts90 - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:04 AM

A point guard that averages 1.73 turnovers a game is turnover prone? Chalmers defines clutch and he was huge these championship runs. Just because Lebron and Wade treat him like dog dirt doesnt mean he is. Heat should have signed Ian Clark for nothing when they had the chance— especially if the Arisons arent trying to pay a fat luxury tax. Ray Allen & the rest of these vets aren’t going to be playing much longer and Miami just cut ties with Miller. All in all, Telfair isn’t a viable solution to fill the role of a shooter.

• laduke14 - Aug 5, 2013 at 4:05 PM

The problem with the Heat is that they wait to dam long to sign someone good and only get scrapes.

11. kingwithringz - Aug 5, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Since we are “bandwagon” fans who’ve been cheering for the Heat for 3+ years, when do we get to become “legit” fans?

• thekingdave - Aug 5, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Dude. Read.

Keyword: Majority.

Definition of majority- >50%

I’ve never doubted that a loyal fanbase for the Heat exists. Just that the majority of the chest thumpers that are spewing garbage in forums such as these are frauds.

Reading comprehension is a terrible skill to go through life without.

Btw, your handle doesn’t really help your cause.

12. kingwithringz - Aug 5, 2013 at 4:01 AM

My handle is a fact tho. He’s a KING with 2 Ringz. @king dave

• divan22 - Aug 5, 2013 at 6:01 AM

There ARE a lot of bandwagon Heat fans, but that’s what generally comes with winning… especially if you’re winning with the best player of his generation.

I’m from CA and there were a TON of Bulls fans that sprouted up during their dynasty.

We all know many people who say they “rooted for” or “loved” Michael Jordan. Think they weren’t rooting for the Bulls (AKA bandwagon Bulls fans) by association?

13. 1972wasalongtimeago - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Can Telfair play Left Tackle?

• chiefwhirlingdervish10 - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM

As a Chiefs fan, I really wanted that 2nd round pick for Albert. Want to be friends now? Offer still stands…

• chiefwhirlingdervish10 - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM

We have Fisher and Stephenson, you Albert and Martin at right. Everyone’s happy, draft night water under the bridge… Come on. You know you want to…

14. blurayharris - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Let me just say that the Heat can make your strengths stand out and hide some of your weaknesses, so if Sebastian has even a little of what people thought he would before coming into the league then the Heat will get it out of him.

15. wsuperman4445 - Aug 5, 2013 at 6:12 PM

One question that has not been asked lately about Odom, its not that there is some thing left in talent for him to play at this stage in his career, the real question is WILL he play if he goes to The Heat? lets not forget the head case he turned into while in Texas.. and really has not shown up in a game since all because he wants to keep up that Drama with his wife on that TV show so the Heat better be buyer beware if getting Odom

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches