Eric Gordon says he feels “pretty good,” hopes to be 100 percent for camp

Aug 4, 2013, 3:30 PM EST

Eric Gordon AP

Jrue Holiday with Eric Gordon could be one of the more interesting backcourts in the NBA. Throw in an improved Anthony Davis, Tyreke Evans at the three, Ryan Anderson to space the floor and suddenly that is a potentially dangerous team in the Big Easy.

The question is how much Gordon can do? He wasn’t horrible last season scoring 17.3 points a game, but he shot just 40.2 percent overall and 32.4 percent from three, well off his career averages. He wasn’t healthy and it showed. After battling knee issues for more than a season he had his ankle scoped in May.

He sounds like a guy who could still be a little slowed when camp opens, reading into what he told the Boston Globe.

“Health-wise, I’ve been doing pretty good, been taking it slow but moving around really well,” he said. “As long as I get to the 100 percent point before training camp, that’s what I’m looking forward to.”

When the Pelicans got Gordon he was the centerpiece of what was coming back to them in the Chris Paul deal. But injuries and at times an attitude on the court that made him look like he wanted to be anywhere else has held him back. Now with a good team there, will things be different? Pelican fans hope so.

Gordon sounds like a guy who wants to move forward.

“It’s not like I’ve been playing terrible, I just haven’t been fully effective to where I should be,” he said. “I look forward to that this year.”

If Gordon is back to his pre-injury self, New Orleans is going to be a team to watch this season. They may be anyway.

1. ninthwardfriend - Aug 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Just shut up and play little girl!!!!!

2. kingwithringz - Aug 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM

This guy is now so excited 2 play for the Hornets after saying “Phoenix has my heart” in the past.

3. knicksmets - Aug 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Probably will injure himself in the first week of the season

4. shanelsweet - Aug 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM

How do Pelican fans root for this guy?

• adzs - Aug 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM

We don’t but we support the team and right now he’s on it and if we do well with him this year and he can show some semblance of commitment who knows he may just win us over; if not he’ll get traded; but either scenario will be perceived as a win for the fans lol

• patfic15 - Aug 4, 2013 at 6:23 PM

He can’t/won’t. He’s a mini Bynum. Can’t stay healthy.

• adamsjohn714 - Aug 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM

hey that’s not fair to bynum. Bynum was really good when he was healthy. Gordon hasn’t ever been close to bynum’s production.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM

adamsjohn714

Well, I did agree completely with another response from you on a diff post and I told you so.

But here I guess it depends on how one defines “close” as you said Gordon “hasn’t ever been close to bynum’s production”.

Of course Gordon has hasn’t had as many yrs in the league yet and I suspect his better yrs are ahead of him.

But, I know you don’t like PER, but still Odom’s career PER is 16.5 and Gordon’s is 15.8. To me, that is close.

Now, to even out their stats, I choose to use stats per 36 min’s of court time via basketball reference dot com. I don’t like per game stats as comparing players that way isn’t good due to the differences in minutes many guys play. But looking at players stats per 36 min’s of court time neutralizes things more.

Odom has a better 2 pt career percentage but Gordon has a higher 3 pt and free throw percentage.

Gordon has the higher career true shooting percentage too.

Per 36 minutes of court time in his career, Odom scores 14.3 pts and Gordon scores 18.6. Again, Gordon has the higher true shooting percentage between the two.

Odom is FAR and away better at rebounding and even averages more assists per 36 min’s of game action than Gordon.

I will agree that Odom is better and has had the better career to this point, but I wouldn’t go as far to say that Gordon “hasn’t ever been close to bynum’s production”.

Maybe I define close differently than you do. And Gordon still has many years to play and improve his stats compared to Odom who may be done already, but I think someone will pick him up for about the league minimum.

5. cmart0907 - Aug 4, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Yea he feels good for the first 10 games. I have no clue how his agent talked to New Orleans to give him a max deal. Hopefully he can be my agent.

• Kevin S. - Aug 4, 2013 at 5:10 PM

He didn’t. His agent talked the Suns into a max deal. The Hornets matched it.

6. patbocam - Aug 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM

As a pelican fan all I can hope for from this guy is that he plays hard, happy, & healthy. I’ll settle for 2 out of 3.

7. patfic15 - Aug 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Go away Eric.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM

He tried to. Hornets were too desperate for a “star player” at the time.

• patfic15 - Aug 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Count me among those stumped they consider him a star player.

• ProBasketballPundit - Aug 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Eric Gordon once seemed ‘on his way’ to being a star player. The year before he signed with Phoenix/New Orleans he was leading the league in scoring after a couple months at about 25ppg. He finished at 21ppg but was still thought of as an up and coming talent.

8. kujo37daggs - Aug 4, 2013 at 6:19 PM

When you love New Orleans, New Orleans returns it tenfold. He’s got the opposite. Go away eric, the city doesn’t want you.

eric gordon, Aminu, and Stiemsma to Denver for Mozgov, Chandler, full cash, and a 2nd rounder.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 7, 2013 at 6:06 AM

You said “Go away eric…”

He tried to but the team kept him there… Since you feel this way about him, maybe you should want those who kept him there to go away since they are the ones responsible for Eric being there, not Eric himself…

9. sportsnut101 - Aug 4, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Guess phx doesn’t want him now dammit why did we match deal

10. antistratfordian - Aug 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Oden will log more minutes this year than Gordon.

• dexterismyhero - Aug 5, 2013 at 12:48 PM

no he won’t.

11. 00maltliquor - Aug 4, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Jesus Christ he’s STILL not 100%!!?? How much time does one need?? The Clippers came UP on that trade.

• sportsfan18 - Aug 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM

By this time next year he’ll be feeling great… as it will be his contract year (as the season after that is his player option) and if he still doesn’t want to be there, he’ll have to play well in in the 2014/2015 season so I suspect by training camp of NEXT season, not this year, is when he’ll finally be healthy…

And this pains me to say what I just did as I’m a Hoosier alum… Gordon still has time and talent to turn his career around, but he hasn’t done himself any favors thus far…

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches