Aug 4, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
The Timberwolves and Nikola Pekovic have been expected to come to a contract agreement for some time.
But the longer the sides continue to negotiate, there seems to at least be a possibility that the relationship could sour.
We broke down the many reasons for the delay a couple of weeks back, but it seems now that it’s come down to a simple matter of dollars.
[Team president Flip Saunders] was in New York City earlier in the week to meet with [Pekovic's agent Jeff Schwartz]. Word is it was cordial gathering. But one central issue remains, according to sources: money. The Wolves are offering Pekovic a four-year, $48 million extension. Schwartz wants more. In fact, at least initially, a lot more. One league source said his opening asking price was in the vicinity of $15 million/year.
The possibility of a five-year agreement exists (point guard Ricky Rubio would still be eligible for a five-year extension because Pekovic is not on the rookie scale). But the main focus has been on four-years. The Wolves are willing to add some incentive sweeteners — think games played with Pekovic’s injury history. But the idea that they’ll budge from the guaranteed portion — $12 million/year — is nearly ludicrous.
Here’s where it gets interesting: Pekovic’s agent not only represents Kevin Love, who can opt out of his deal to become an unrestricted free agent in 2015. But he also represents Brandon Jennings, who was in a standoff similar to that of Pekovic with the Milwaukee Bucks.
Pekovic is a restricted free agent the same as Jennings was, and when the dollars being offered by the Bucks weren’t what Jennings was expecting, the team chose to trade him rather than caving to his demands, or letting him play out one more season under the qualifying offer before bolting next summer.
There’s no sign that a similar situation is brewing in Minnesota with Pekovic — at least not yet. Considering his history of injury, one would think that this deal would get done at some point in order for him to lock up a multi-year, guaranteed deal before the season begins.
- Trade rumor update: Nets may be Kyle Lowry frontrunners 0
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 13: Talking Asik, Gasol trades plus NBA Draft with Rob Dauster 0
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. 26
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 6
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 2
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (53)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (40)